Office for Mac 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zdann120, Oct 30, 2010.

1. zdann120 macrumors newbie

How do I reset Office 2011 so that it will ask for my product key again?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try deleting com.microsoft plist files from MacintoshHD/Users/User/Library/Preferences

3. zdann120 thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted them, but they just re-create themselves and the product is still registered.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd try these 2

com.microsoft.office.setupassistant.plist
    com.microsoft.setupassistant.plist

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Run the Remove Office utility.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

And where pray tell is it in Office 2011?

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It doesn't exist. You simply drag the Office 2011 folder to the trash to uninstall this version.
    Try deleting the plist files to reset the product key just like the posts suggest above.

8. gtvyt macrumors member

Tried it. Not working.....

Any way of making this the right way?

9. RoccoR macrumors newbie

gtvyt, et al,

I, as well, have had trouble getting my MAC Office 2011 to properly install. I was able to download the 2011 up-grade. It seemed to install nicely; although it took much more time than did the MAC Office 2008 Version. The Icons deployed. BUT---> Every time I double click on the Icon for any of the MAC Office Applications, it asks for me to re-register. I do that and get a confirmation message via e-mail; but the application never starts. Using the project gallery, I can still use the 2008 Version.

I did get some separate add-ons that work independently.

(COMMENT)

All my attempts to contact the "2011 Support" system met with negative results. I am given the impression that some deployments simply don't work and they have no solutions. Hence the conspicuous silence.

I have attempted to de-install and re-install, but now files get all confused and I don't want to risk losing what functionality I have. At this point, a .doc (docx) document will not automatically open. I must download it, than access it by activating the 2008 Version -- then open.

I know this isn't much help, but having just bought this 2.93 GHz i7, and I suspect (although I don't know) that it might be related to this model. It has not demonstrated any superior characteristics over my G-4 or G-5. While it is, in some cases faster, it just fails faster. But attempting to up-grade to 2011, I made my performance worse. Based on my experience, I would not recommend this model MAC to anyone that needs to depend on MAC Office Applications; and I've been a MAC driver since the Apple II and first MAC Model came out.

In my case, my time is more valuable than trying to make this work. I have discarded any further attempts installation; and am salvaging what I can. I use a new PC to do any serious work. The frustration simply isn't worth it!

Sometimes, you just have to give-up, realizing that sometimes (with a MAC), you cannot get there from here.

Best Regards,
    R

10. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

In my opinion, Microsoft Office for Mac is Microsoft's way of sabotaging the Mac experience. I had problems with 2008 - to the extent I'm not even considering 2011.
    IN all honestly I find NeoOffice to work better, I only have a copy of Office 2008 my university gave me installed in case I have a compatibility issue, or something doesn't look right.

11. paul31 macrumors newbie

Trouble downloading 2011 on my mac

My mac keeps spitting out the disk

12. Xafke macrumors newbie

Delete those two plist files, and don't forget to empty the trash.
    Run any Office product and it will be resetted.

I've just tried this and it works!

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you're doing yourself a disservice there with that decision. 2011 is leaps and bounds better than 2008 and as close as you can get to the windows version. I suggest you at least give it a test run, completely different product from 2008

14. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Deleting com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist allowed me to enter my product key again. I didn't have the other 2 plists that others mentioned.

15. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

Point well taken.

When the university starts offering 2011 I'll look into it.