Office for Mac 2016 - huge update size - again

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lankyman, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

As per title - why are the Office for Mac 2016 updates so huge - it's getting beyond ridiculous and for anyone on a capped connection it must be a worry. The latest one as per the last one is running into gigabytes yet again.

I'm sure they are equally as large if not larger than the original download.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

It's Microsoft. They've got more bugs to fix.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

The Office updates include fixes for all Office apps even though you may not need them. For example: fixes or patches for Outlook and Evernote which you may not use.

4. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I appreciate that but when the individual apps update is 700 to 800mb each then you have to wonder why. On top of that they have a habit of aborting before completion.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a sense who cares as long as the apps are better then prior to the update.

I never look at the size of the update to PHotoshop but given how long it takes, I'd say those updates are not small either.

Office apps are large, and their files are spread out (not just in the application folder, but also in the Library folder). It stands to reason that large patches with lots of updates can be rather volumeous (is that a real word??? :p)

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Microsoft will be moving to a delta update that only includes the changed files, likely with the next update. Right now, each updater is a full copy of each application.

7. Lankyman, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Hells teeth no wonder it is so large then, added to which if the server is overloaded they take for ever. This latest update with all six apps took my connection 2.5 hours to download today. I can only assume Microsofts servers were being overwhelmed. Download was/is 5.1 gig.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

It's definitely not Microsoft being overloaded. They, along with most software vendors, use distributed networks to make updates available. In any case, the situation will improve some time soon.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The good news is, this update fixed an issue I was having with Word trying to save PDFs to a private network share.

10. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

You call that taking forever :eek:...you really don't have a problem :). Honest!

11. chino101 macrumors newbie

chino101

If only they would fix the battery consumption issues!

12. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I shouldn't have later this week when I move to Infinity 2. Fibre has at last reached our rural location. :D