Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Office 365 Subscribers: Did Microsoft notify you that Office 2016 was available?

• Yes

• No

• Other (explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

james126

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I am a (relatively) longtime Mac user, and have been making due with Office for Mac 2011 for a number of years now. Shortly after purchasing my retina 5k iMac I decided to purchase a subscription to Office 365, rather than dealing with the hassle of transferring licenses from my previous mac. The decision to start office 365 occurred in March.

Last night I found out that, in late July, Office 2016 launched for mac which, as a subscriber, I was fully entitled to upgrade to.

Not once did Microsoft email me, or prompt me in the 2011 software, to make the upgrade, though they were more than content to continually prompt me to implement "critical" security updates at least once a week.

Did anybody else receive a notification, and I just missed it? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess probably not. I've been exclusively in the Apple ecosystem since mid 2012, and can't be happier to (for the most part) get rid of the madness which is Microsoft from my life. Whenever I need to make use of a Microsoft product, like Office, I can't believe what a hard time they make their customers endure.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I was notified - via my admin portal - in large, contrasting type. I received a second notification, in my admin portal, that my Windows installation of Office 2013 was eligible for an upgrade to Office 2016 when the Windows update became available.

I log into my admin portal once a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.