Office for Mac 2016 printing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erich.j.k, Feb 5, 2017.

1. erich.j.k macrumors member

erich.j.k

Hi,
    my wife just got Office for Mac 2016 (came from Windows with Office 2007(? not sure about the version)). Now she can't print a range of pages - it'll always print the whole document.
    The only workaround I've been able to find is to click on PDF - Open PDF in Preview and print the single pages from there (which works just fine).
    There's probably some setting that's messing this up - but I haven't been able to find it yet.
    Anyone with an idea?

Thanks!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. erich.j.k thread starter macrumors member

erich.j.k

Oh sure - it's not that the dialog isn't there (see attached image).
    But no matter what I choose it's always the whole document that gets printed (what a waste of paper!).
    Like I mentioned before, the same options work just fine if I choose to open the document as a PDF in Preview.app and print from there. It's only when I print directly from Word that this happens. Same thing happens if I choose my other printer (a Brother HL 2360D), so it doesn't seem to be the driver for the HP.

Attached Files:

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

So it's Word-specific and printer-general.

Confirm that you're using the latest, updated version of Word (15.30.17010700, I think).

5. erich.j.k thread starter macrumors member

erich.j.k

6. chscag macrumors 68000

Something is messed up with Word then. You're probably going to have to uninstall Word and reinstall it. And that's not an easy job. Make sure you follow the Microsoft instructions for removing Office and reinstalling. And don't forget to have your serial number on hand to reactivate Office.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Reinstalling may work. I don't see any specific info on that in the wild.

So, if you select the page range and "Save as PDF..." does the PDF file contain the entire document or just the page range?

8. erich.j.k thread starter macrumors member

erich.j.k

It contains the entire document.

I don't believe reinstalling will help since I see this on two computers.

9. chscag macrumors 68000

Something is certainly not right. You state that both your printers are doing the same thing, and now you say that it's happening on two computers? Are you using Office 365 or just a stand alone version of Office 2016 or Word 2016? I still think that completely removing Word and reinstalling might help. But that's up to you.

10. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Just a thought: Click the drop-down menu where it says LAYOUT and select the COPIES & PAGES panel instead. You should be able to enter page ranges in that panel. See if that works.

11. erich.j.k thread starter macrumors member

erich.j.k

This is stand alone Office 2016.

Maybe it has to do with the printer driver after all - I don't have a COPIES & PAGES section (see attached picture).

PrintMenu.jpeg

12. presenta macrumors newbie

presenta

The same problem is reported here with Lion and Office 2011, so it's not specific to Office 2016.

Here are some quotes:
    So the solution is as simple as using a page range of s2-s3, for example, rather than 2-3, in the print dialog box.
    You need to change the section breaks to page breaks, or use the "page/section syntax" in the Print dialog as some user reports.​