Office for Mac 2016 standalone release date

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tibi08, Sep 14, 2015.

1. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

On the Office for Mac blog, it says that "Office 2016 for Mac will become available as a one-time purchase option in late September". But there's been no news as September progresses. Does anyone know if an actual release date has been rumoured/announced?

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

MS is releasing Office 2016 for Windows and other products at their September 22 event. So, I'm guessing September 22...

3. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Thanks, I did wonder the same, but there's no mention of Mac.

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I ended up buying the 365 1-year subscription in early August... something that I would have never done before :)
    Price was good and I'll give a try. Depending of the Base suite price I might move back next year to a more permanent option.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

No worries, I have a MS rep that attends to my small company. We have a bit of coin invested with them, and he dished on the date.

One tip, Amazon will likely have a digital download that will include a key number for either a full or upgrade version at a slight discount. I'm actually considering dumping my standalone licenses and buying Office 365 key numbers through Amazon what with the 25-35% discounts they're offering, but that's just me. Cheers!

6. Erdbeertorte, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I bought the version for 5 Users (Macs/PCs) with each 1 TB OneDrive on Amazon too for 69€/year. That's the same price as a single user license if you buy it directly from Microsoft and 30€ cheaper than the 5 User version.

Edit: You also can choose to install the 2011 version until September 22nd 2016, if the new version has still too many issues or you just don't like it.
    The Amazon version works exactly the same as the Microsoft version. You just have to put in the key in your Office365 account. The price for a little box with the key card or just getting it digital is the same at Amazon.
    Sometimes you also get a 10€ gift card for the Microsoft App Store with it. I got that last year, but had no use for it. ;)

7. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I had both 2011 and the most recent beta of 2016 on my Macs until a couple of weeks ago. It just started telling me I needed a subscription to use the newer version so I deleted it all. Frankly, I found the new version way too slow even on my brand-new MacBook. No idea how MS has been able to make office so much slower with each new iteration. I kept 2004 for a long time after the PPC-x86 switch because it was faster than any of the Intel versions even with the drag of emulation but eventually I had to get the current one once PPC support was dropped with Lion. 2011 isn't fast but it is still much faster than 2016 so I won't be upgrading any time soon.