Office for Mac (4 year student edition) or buy it flat out?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imprezive, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Imprezive macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of going on and getting office mainly to avoid compatibility issues with powerpoint presentations. Typically I just had to print out word files so that would be no big deal, but presentations always had to be opened in class on their computer. The issue is I'm not sure if I should get the discounted 4 year license for office for students or just buy it flat out for 130. The reason I'm torn is because I don't know if they will suddenly decide to update office for mac after I spend the 130.

Thoughts? Thank you guys.

2. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I would just get the Office 365 for student 4 year license. Then whenever they update Office you will have all of the latest versions, plus you will also e able to use it with a tablet.

3. Imprezive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. 20 bucks a year for 4 years with updates does actually sound really good.

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

It does sound good, if it stays that way. Four years into the future is a long time. If they raise the price even slightly, you're better off buying it flat out. Also, the longer you keep it, the cheaper per year it gets.

Having the very latest minor bells and whistles is not a huge value. The core of Office isn't going to change. Owning the software for as long as you have a compatible Mac is likely better. Even an old version of Office is better than none at all due to expired subscription.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, universities will sell Office for $10. I am at UC Davis and I got Office for Mac for $10. If you are a college student, check with your school to see if they have any specific deals.

Best,
    Matt

6. BrianInLA macrumors member

BrianInLA

Great post - my employer has a similar deal where students or employees (so long as we have a .edu e-mail address) can download a copy of the complete Office sure for $9.95. Of course it is only good so long as you have that .edu address but still . . .

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Companies under an Enterprise agreement can offer the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP). You can get either the Mac or Windows versions for $10 each. License says you have to be using Office on a work machine and have to remain employed.

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Also, depending on the school, you can get them for free. I know my school gets all their free software from onthehub, they have a search where you can see if your school is in the program or not.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I can't speak to the $10 versions but I bought the $79 for 4 year version which is Office 365 and I can install it on two machines and I now have 1TB cloud storage. For me personally it's a great deal. You pay once and don't need to worry about it for 4 years.

10. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Better yet, some offer it for free; check with your school's IT support.

11. akhilleus macrumors member

I used Open Office throughout college. It's free and takes a little getting used to from MS Office, but it's quite close.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check with your school, but failing that, I'd get MS office. You don't want to be dealing with compatibility and/or formatting issues. The less distractions you have the better off you'll be

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Office 365 with a student discount will probably be best for you OP.