Office for Mac Academic questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, May 24, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like I'm eligible for Office for Mac Academic but I'm curious as to the difference between this and the Office for Mac 2011 Home & Student -Family Pack.

The academic includes outlook but I know that I can install home & student family pack on 3 computers.

I cannot [easily] find any licensing restrictions for the academic flavor (one computer or multiple?). The price difference is 30 bucks - 99 for academic and 121 for home & student.

Any recommendations and advise will be welcome.

2. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I asked the google and it appears that the academic flavor is tied to a single computer. Outside of outlook, it appears that the family pack is a better fit.

3. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Hey, have you checked your campus estore? I paid $64 for Mac Office on campus. I am pretty sure it is the Academic version, as it has Outlook. It is the single user version though. Also, $121 for the three licenses version of Home & Student is a pretty good deal. Furthermore, if you want to install the software on three machines: your price for the three user version of Home & Student is the best bet. :)

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

The academic version has one gotcha. If your drive dies or you get a new computer you can't install again.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Why is that if you have the DVD?

My Uni sold the Academic 2011 for about $13 and said that I could put it on two computers.

6. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Each university can offer different versions. I just know the academic version provided by MSFT allows for activation on one computer/drive only.