Office for mac and macros

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by velvetelvis, Aug 24, 2009.

1. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

Is there anyway to get macros to work in office? I need it for work and don't really want to install windows on my MacBook.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

VBA macros do not work with Office 2008. They do work with Office 2004.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

so wait, if my boss gives me an excel document that uses macros, i can open it and retain the macros in office '04 but not in office '08? that doesnt make sense. why take a feature out?

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I wasn't clear. If you open a document with macros in Office 2008, you can leave the macros in place and make other changes to the document. However, you can't do anything with the macros in Office 2008: you can't edit them, and you can't run them.

Removing VBA from Office 2008 was a very hard decision, and wasn't something that we wanted to do. Our VBA implementation was very dependent on the old PowerPC architecture, and moving it to the new Intel architecture would have been very expensive in terms of developer resources necessary. Office 2008 had a lot of other massive changes happening to its codebase: the switch to Intel (and the attendant switch to a new development environment), a new file format, a new graphics engine, support for a million rows in Excel, and so on. Something had to give, and unfortunately it was VBA.

We announced that VBA would not be a part of Office 2008 nearly two years before its release; if you're interested in the deep dark technical details behind it, you can read this blog post by one of our senior developers: saying goodbye to Visual Basic.

We have also announced that VBA is coming back to the next version of Office, which we recently released would happen in time for holiday shopping in 2010. If you're interested in more details about that decision, you can read another blog post by that same senior developer: saying hello (again) to Visual Basic.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

Well darn. Thank you for the explanation but that means I'm gonna have to buy a windows machine for work stuff. A poop. Thanks again for your prompt response.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You might not need to buy a Windows computer. You could run Windows via Boot Camp or VMWare. There's plenty of folks here who do that, so you might want to head over to the Windows on a Mac forum here if you have any questions about how to set that up.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. Avi macrumors member

I just found the application called Crossover for mac ... that runs a few Engineering Windows Only apps without actually installing windows ... is there some sort of workaround with Crossover to do VBA on the macbook?