Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom R

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Need to get new Office package for my New MacBook Pro...current version is Office foe Mac 2008! I use Outlook/Excel and a bit of Entourage...used to us PP for work but likely not any/or little in the future. Not a "cloud" used but will likely consider soon. Still think I would be fine with "Hardcopy" and avoid learning/relying on cloud at this point. I am concerned that MS may not update the hard copy at all...even for security and other what I consider maintenance fixes??? Seems like they are really pushing toward the cloud version?

Thoughts?

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
With Office 365, you actually download the applications same as you would with the "hard copy".

You do NOT need to save any files to the cloud / OneDrive but it sure comes in handy when using on multiple devices.

With Office 365, you would also benefit from enhancements as they are made.

Reactions: jbachandouris

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, they are pushing 0365. Have been for years, while slowly reeling in perpetual licenses (which is what I think you mean by "hardcopy"). I run both versions (work and home systems). O365 does run locally, and executables are downloaded periodically. It runs just fine without any connections. The "cloud" aspect seems to be mainly the ability to share files in a cloud-like fashion.

My home version, Office 2016, is updated monthly. Feature velocity is slower. Which really is no big deal to me because I am one of those people who think MS stopped adding features 20 years ago.

You will see a big change wrt Entourage and Outlook. Since this will be a big change for all aspects of the suite, you may want to consider putting your learning cycles into one of the great, free offers from Google or Apple. Depending on your needs, these may work well.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
It depends on how much you're paying for it

If you're buying both from Microsoft, I'd get the hardcopy since it's one upfront cost you'll never have to worry about again in the future

But if it were me, I'd just buy an Office 365 account on eBay for $5–10, which'll give you the full suite plus frequent updates

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Need to get new Office package for my New MacBook Pro...current version is Office foe Mac 2008! I use Outlook/Excel and a bit of Entourage...used to us PP for work but likely not any/or little in the future. Not a "cloud" used but will likely consider soon. Still think I would be fine with "Hardcopy" and avoid learning/relying on cloud at this point. I am concerned that MS may not update the hard copy at all...even for security and other what I consider maintenance fixes??? Seems like they are really pushing toward the cloud version?

Thoughts?
I have Office 365 and I just canceled my auto renewal. The new features/updates are minimal and not worth a yearly subscription and OneDrive sucks so that 1TB of storage you get is not that appealing vs iCloud storage.

don't fall into the subscription pit hole. Just buy it once and forget about it.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait until 2020 maybe there is a new version and buy that, just use Pages/Numbers until then if you can hold on.

If I was in your shoes, I would wait until 2020 maybe there is a new version and buy that, just use Pages/Numbers until then if you can hold on.
Or use either LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/), or OpenOffice (https://www.openoffice.org/). I actually have LibreOffice, and it works real well. Their Writer Document (akin to Microsoft Word) and Calc Spreadsheet (akin to Excel) modules do a very good job, and also offer more file types for conversions than OpenOffice does. However, neither of them include an EMail program. I for one use Thunderbird, and it works real well.

Reactions: Super Spartan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.