Office for mac has a low resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Isa Al, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Isa Al macrumors member

Hey
    I have bought recently a macbook pro retina and only the Microsoft office has a low resolution like I see the letters little blurred as if I am zooming in to a low quality picture. knowing that I have another macbook pro but not retina with a good office resolution so what's wrong with it and is there anyway that I can increase the resolution of office?
    Thanks

2. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

3. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

4. chrfr macrumors 603

What version of Office do you have? Office 2011 has had Retina support for a long time now, but earlier versions don't.

5. Isa Al thread starter macrumors member

I have the 2011 and exactly version 14.4.5

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I think the answer is that you should never expect quality software from Microsoft, on any system but especially on the Mac. About the best that can be said is that it runs.

7. cmm macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Microsoft has never made any software that is quality software.

sigh

OP: Install the updated version of Word. If that doesn't work, restart, then follow this guide (which you may want to restart afterwards): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2761073 Essentially, a helper file is reading old info about low-res screens, even after the updated, sometimes, probably due to permissions but who knows, and you have to "refresh" the file by following the steps in that link.

8. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Perhaps that was true some 20 years ago.

Microsoft makes some of the best software in the world. Perhaps you don't like Microsoft, but it does make good software.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

I haven't used Windows 8, but no Microsoft UI prior to that was good. They write functional software, but can't build a good UI. They are in love with nested, modal, dialogs. Actions that are simple on Macs require me to click four or five times in Windows. Outlook is the worst offender I have to deal with. Naturally, this is all just my opinion.

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The office suite is still 32 bit. I downloaded the new Outlook for Mac and it's still 32bit. Sadly Microsoft still has to make their software to work on the lowest common denominator machine. I don't have an issue with Micrsoft, the fact is they still have to make their software to work on many different types of hardware.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Microsoft hasn't updated their software to retina (it's better than it was, but doesn't seem to be high enough quality), likely because they're shifting to a browser-based software as a service platform.

Nothing you can do.

I get around the annoyance by using Office on my external, non-retina screen.