Office for Mac? How seamless is it these days?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quickmac, May 14, 2015.

1. quickmac macrumors 6502

A few years ago I was mostly a Mac user after years on PC. One of the things that forced me into getting a Windows based laptop for school/work was the issues between Office for Mac and Office for Windows. The need for me to be able to seamlessly save and open files on different computers (I used DropBox extensively) was a deal breaker and I could no longer make do with Office for Mac.

Fast forward to 2015 and I'm hearing that Office for Mac is a new beast, that if you save a file on Office on Mac, you can fire it up on Office for Windows with little to no issues and also the reverse. Is this now the norm?

I'm hoping it is because my laptop is a real piece these days and I'd like to get a Mac again for my portable work/school needs.

So those using Office cross platform , are the files seamlessly working these days?

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

The last time you used Office when you had problems with it, what versions are they on both Windows and Mac...?

3. do1984 macrumors member

The current version is still the Office 2011, but the Office 2016 Preview for Mac is amazing. It's currently a "preview", but it's working flawlessly to me. I work with Parallels (VM) and I can save / edit both ways with no issues at all.
    And for now, since it's "beta", it's free.
    I have both versions installed, but since I tried the 2016 Preview, I've never looked back.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When I bought my first Mac I bought the Apple suite and quickly decided it sucked dead llama hoohoos. So I got Office for Mac. I use Mac at home and Windows at work/school, so I'm constantly going between the two, and there is no difference anymore.

And as do1984 said, the preview of the next release is fantastic.