Office for Mac? How to get on Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dealmaker, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

Dumb question?

I'd assumed that I would be able to download Office for Mac 2011 from the App store?...but I can't find it anywhere?

How do I buy/install it??

2. Geetarpicker macrumors newbie

I picked up my copy of Microsoft Office at Stapes. They carry a few different versions, and at least one of them was on sale a few days ago and perhaps still is. They don't have a very big Mac section, but they did have MS Office and Photoshop Elements which was also on sale last week. I guess I'm old school and like to have a physical disc on hand as an easy backup if I have to reinstall. That said, that only works if you bought the External DVD Superdrive.

3. JS77 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wouldn't call it a "dumb" question, but this is what I don't like about the whole app store model. It makes people blind to the "original" sales channels.

To answer your question, you can buy directly from Microsoft, amazon or any other local reseller. Google is your friend! :)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

You can purchase the Office suite from either the Apple Store, direct from Microsoft, or almost any other computer store. Then use the serial number and follow THESE instructions.

Hope this helps

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You can only use apple superdrive?

Funny, I've got a samsung external DVD burner, and I've used it to install stuff on my MBA with nary a single problem.

Already had it, so I never bothered buying a superdrive. Funny, looks like I had won the lottery and didn't even know it-until now.

Thanks, guys!

7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Apple want you to use the App Store since you have no DVD drive. They also want you to buy iWork so MS office - the worlds most popular office suite - is not on the app store. However, in Iworks defence, you can buy individual apps so if you dont use their powerpoint just buy word and excel.

Before you buy MS office though, download and try Open Office. Its free and almost as good (just not as pretty, but hey its free!).

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

As far as I am aware Microsoft have not submitted office to the app store. Your post implies that Microsoft has and that Apple rejected it. Apple can not put office on the app store without Microsoft's approval. I'm positive that apple would love to take the 30% they would take from Microsoft if office were on the App Store.

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

You can also share any cd drive (Mac or pc) that is on the same network as you. So you can stick it in your pc cd drive and install it over wifi.

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Just download the demo of the version that you want directly from Microsoft. The demo is good for 30 days. Then shop around and buy it from the cheapest store. Once you receive the software plug in the software key into the demo to convert it over to a registered version.

11. solowmodel macrumors 6502

This.

I had a CD copy of Office, and installed it on my MBA using remote drive from another mac.

12. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I used another mac to copy the installer (1 file) from the dvd to a flash drive then copied the installer file from the flash drive to the MBA. It's less than a gig.

I ran the installer on the MBA and it installed Office 2011 without a hitch. Then I deleted the install file off of the MBA to save space. No problem.

13. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

That is where I bought my copy.

14. schemula macrumors newbie

It's available for download at Amazon for about $30 less than buying from Microsoft.