office for mac issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cpnotebook80, Dec 12, 2008.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I just installed the new office and its all updated.Everytime i try to launch word or excel etc..i get that stupid autoupdate window and i click it manually and click close and it never goes away when opening any office application.
    i cant open any application in office.
    any advice

2. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Remove it and try a reinstall. Problem is that Microsoft doesn't write software very well. Is there any particular reason why you are using it? There are better Word Processors out there: Nisus Writer Pro, Pages and Scrivener are all better than Word and on the email side both Mail and Mailsmith are better than Entourage. I am still using PowerPoint for presentations but will go over to Keynote in the near future.

The only time I actually use Word is when someone requests it, which means about once every 3 months. :apple:

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Open word, then preferences, and you can change the updates to manual. You shouldn't get the pop up again. It's on the general page about half way down.

Attached Files:

4. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I cant open word anymore for some reason since the autoupdate check shows up first .
    anyways, i decided to use the windows word via crossover.
    The reason i have to use is work related files sometimes i bring home.
    I noticed the mac version of office a bit too bulky.
    thanks for ure help

5. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Fair enough. If you need great compatibility Word is a good choice. The odd piece from Work (usually tables) do not come out well in Nisus Writer Pro so I am glad that I have Word 2008 on my Hard Drive.

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

@cpnotebook80

If you ever decide to reformat the Mac, consider installing word:Mac. It should let you edit the profile then, as no old files would remain.