Office for Mac: Newer version than '2008' ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiataMac, Oct 2, 2009.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

Hi,

Does anybody know when Microsoft plans on releasing a newer version of Microsoft Office for Mac?

One of my co-workers currently own the 2008 version and he's really unhappy with it. He has an excel file that's around 4MB in filesize, containing some 11,000 rows and a bunch of columns too and it's really slow to work with (he has a 1 year old MacBook Pro) and some times excel also "runs out of memory" it says and the application just freezes.

It should be updated properly etc, but I wonder if maybe a newer version more suited for Snow Leopard, might be released soon?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks.

I guess there's just something wrong with excel or the sheet, since it gives that "out of memory"-error and crashes.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hey, it's done by Microsoft ;)

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, we'll be getting Office 2010 (it's on a different schedule from the PC version). I can sympathize with the slowness - 2004 and 2001 ("Office X") are slow too. :( But there are already plenty of threads complaining about that. And don't even get me started on how much I hate Excel...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

FWIW, Office 2001 and Office v.X were two different versions of the suite and were targeted at two different operating systems. Office 2001 was the last MacOS 9 version. Office v.X was the first MacOS X version of the Microsoft suite.