Office for MAC not allowing use in uni due to other people (users) using it?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by judgemuffin, Oct 20, 2009.

1. judgemuffin macrumors newbie

Hi, we have recently purchased Microsoft Office for the Mac and installed it on my wife's macbook, replacing an old version. The reason was that the old copy used to block her use of it in university due to it saying that their were other users using it at the same time. So we installed it, waiting for it to ask for a product key but it didn't at any time...? Consequently now when my wife tries to use it in uni the same problem occurs.

We have product keys coming out of our butt from the original box but no way of entering them. I have tried to 'register online' with windows but the website simply isn't working.

It sounds a real basic thing that I am just missing out on but could do with little help please.

You have helped me lot in the past and hope that my first post will be just as successful.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should uninstall the old version first. There's a built-in uninstaller.

3. judgemuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

uninstall

hi, I totally uninstalled everything before putting the new one on but was never prompted for the key. I searched for any residual programmes before I put it on...?!??:confused:

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I presume you have office 2008.

delete ˜/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
    delete /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

and it will prompt you for your product key when you run one of the programs for the first time (these files will get re-created)

5. judgemuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all

this simple info helped a dimwit like me :)