Office for Mac or Install Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinger0439, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cinger0439 macrumors regular

cinger0439

Hi, this is my first post and I just purchased a 15 " Macbook Pro - first time Mac user from a PC.

My question - I use Office for all my work documents. Would it be best to install Windows and install PC version of Office or is Office for Mac close enough so that my co-workers can still view and use my documents?

Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Office 2011 for Mac should be fine for you
    Yes, you can share your documents

3. jmdMac macrumors regular

Agreed.

I use office for mac 2011 almost on a daily basis for college. Works fine from mac to pc.

4. cinger0439 thread starter macrumors regular

cinger0439

Thanks, guys! I'm pretty certain I will go with Office for Mac.

5. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just to chime in...Office for Mac has been great for me!

6. v2kea412 macrumors member

Word should be ok.... if you have sort of complex excel workbooks with VBA, go with windows.... I wanna say that was its primary limitation when i was looking... I also installed Open Office just in case.

7. v2kea412 macrumors member

Correction... 2011 has VBA support... should be good to go then!

8. dmn8 macrumors member

9. chefwong macrumors regular

Outlook tied into exchange still sucks on Mac....

ie - tried moving 7000 items into from one folder to another subfoder.
    Took 14 hrs on Office Mac. 7 Minutes top on PC...and PC Outlook was virtualized on the same Mac

10. cinger0439 thread starter macrumors regular

cinger0439

Thanks for the link to the Office for Mac website!

11. Whitelightning macrumors regular

From a longtime PC user... I think I will install windows to use office on just because UI looks better and overall i think easier to use in windows. its useful to be able to auto resize windows dragging to the sides or corners of displays to have two documetns open without having to always resize from the bottom right corner of a window....

I've heard the mac 2011 version is more buggy than the windows version as well, but meh. I think I will end up installing both on both sides.

12. josh1231 macrumors regular

I would agree both are equals in terms of functionality. They do differ significantly in where that functionality resides, meaning menu placement. If you're a pretty advanced user, learning how to do tasks on the Mac version can be a tad frustrating at first.

If you don't mind the learning curve though, the Mac version works well.

13. cinger0439 thread starter macrumors regular

cinger0439

Good to know, Josh.

I'm learning the Mac OS and I love what you can do with folders, preview, sizing icons and documents, etc. And spotlight has much more functionality than Windows does. I'm very, very happy with my switch to the mac.

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Either a) your using Boot Camp or b) your using a virtual machine, either of which aren't very battery friendly.

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Install both versions. There are a lot of incompatibilities between the windows and mac versions, especially with images and exporting to PDF.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

You should be good. Just finishing up college, had a MBP for 3 of the 4 years. Came across only one problem. Excel for Mac is missing some very basic analysis tools I needed for Statistics I & II. Beyond that, no problems at all!

17. Fredridge macrumors newbie

One thing office for Mac doesn't have is Publisher.

Currently I use that a lot, so personally will have to have at least the windows version

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

My experience is that Office 2011 for Mac comes close enough to office 2007 to be somewhat useful in OSX. If you work on one document that you begin and finish it works. If it is a collaborative work it is a pain. I ended up installing an XP VM and using Office 2007 because I couldn't stand all the little troubles of combining the work from Windows office and the for Mac Version. If you are a university student and you have to write long papers with many colleges it works brilliantly easy if everybody uses Windows Office, but a office for Mac creates all kinds of time consuming annoying little things.
    Also Office 2007 scrolls smooth in the XP VM or in bootcamp Win7. Office 2011 is for some reason much slower. Everything takes longer. It is not so bad that everybody will even notice but it is definitely a big difference especially with big documents.

Also just running Word in the background takes a big toll on battery life. I never get more than 4-5h with Word running. Without but with Browser, pdfs ... it gives me 6-8h, even if Word sits idle doing nothing.
    The interface is much worse although 2011 is a big step forward.

If you really know your way around in the Office for Windows you just need to understand that Office for Mac is a cheap copy and neither works as well nor offers nearly all the features. It is like a new Office with a similar interface but in general 3 generations behind.
    For big stuff and collaborative work I still start up the VM as 2007 is much superior even though it is in theory older. For small stuff 2011 works too and still offers more than iworks which is quick but I cannot get used to this old interface and to work as quick I would probably need to learn a bunch of short cuts. The mouse interface in iworks is either very inefficient or not very intuitive, probably both.

19. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

20. scmarcos macrumors member

Are all these problems related to compatibility??? Becouse I am a researcher and I work with many other windows office 2010 users! I am thinking of moving to mac from windows but this will be a great problem for me!!!

21. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use the Mac version (2011) daily and have had no compatibility issues; including with some pretty extensive spreadsheets. I do not use VBA so I can't say if they it's 100% trouble free.

22. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

While I also have Office installed in Parallels (to run Visio); I have none of the problems you mention. While Office in a VM is certainly a workable solution of a fast Mac, you have the added costs of Win7 and the VM.

23. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Opinion from a very heavy office user:

Install Office 2010 on a Windows XP VM.

Here's why:

If you are a heavy office user and do one of EITHER of these two things this will be the better product:

1. Share documents with colleagues

2. Present powerpoint presentations on other people's computers (ie use powerpoint)

Office for Mac HAS inherent problems with compatibility (every mac version does). If you actually rely on office for giving presentations (like I do) you should always save all your presentation files as 1997-20003 .ppt files (NOT .pptx) to ensure compatibility. Same with word and excel files. By doing so, your presentation will always look the same on another computer that is viewing it and if that computer is older it will still work.

I can guarantee that if you install office for mac and make a complicated presentation and save it as a .ppt or .pptx and try and run it on a pc it will not look the same.

This is also true for word and excel - if you share documents with people they will not come out the same on the windows side if you save them in office 2011 mac and they are running an old version of office on their pc.

So, if you are either sharing files with others or presenting powerpoints on computers that aren't yours you should definitely give real thought to Office 2010 for Windows to ensure compatibility. Now, if you only use office casually for personal files then don't worry and get office 2011 for mac (it's much prettier and just as functional) but it WILL have compatibility problems with other office users. Just my 2 cents.

24. stiwi macrumors regular

Sharing documents do not work very well in Office 2011 Mac edition. While trying to open a document either through Skydrive or through Microsoft Document Connection, I am get an error that my browser doesn't support javascript. But of course it does. I saw this issue being reported on Office for Mac forum but there is no solution.

25. scmarcos macrumors member

If I am just using simple office file like word with simple tables and figures do I will have the same compatibility iussues?