Office for Mac or Windows via Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millertime021, Oct 26, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Hello everyone,

I am planning on installing Windows on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp because I'm going to need it for school. Lame. Anyway, I have been waiting for Office 2011 for Mac to come out for quite awhile now and today is the big day.

I was wondering if I should get 2011 for Mac and just run it on my Mac side, so I can run my other apps while I work on projects, or do you guys think it would be best to just get Office 2010 for Windows.

Thanks

2. ermoore macrumors newbie

The only reason I would use the Windows side is if you have to run software like Publisher. Or if you are taking some computer class that gives you step-by-step instructions on how to complete projects.

Otherwise, Office'11 is fully functional and I use it all the time for Word and Excel and it does not lack any features that I use.

3. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure if I'll have the step by step classes. I'm considering buying both. With my employer I can get 2010 for $10 and I can get Mac 2011 for $99 since I'm a student. Also, I could wait until Mac 2011 is on the HUP and get it for $15 or so.

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

5. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Would you be willing to elaborate please. :)

6. Kurzdorfer macrumors newbie

Excel

I am trying to switch from Excel 2007 (WIN) to 2011 (MAC). My initial read is i do not like it. Pivot tables seem limited and don't make sense (from a 2007 perspective). Simple things like sorting a Pivot table by summarized results seems impossible.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Even the latest 2011 version? From all accounts it's a lot faster and behaves more like the Windows version. Or maybe you're just talking about 2008, your father's Excel:Mac as it were.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

Unless you want to run PC games, why bother with Bootcamp? I run Office under VMWare Fusion and it's superfast.

9. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I just got it up and running this evening, but I like what I've seen. My VBA code from windows has a few hiccups but nothing serious yet. I definitely like the VBA editor and it is responsive. We'll learn more real soon. Hope I can keep my enthusiasm.

BTW what is it you don't like about Excel?

10. Kurzdorfer macrumors newbie

Excel Pivot Table Issues

I cannot seem to be able to sort an Excel 2011 pivot table by the summary results. I an used to a "More Sort Options" menu selection where I could specify say "Sort items descending based on:" And then I could select what field or Value result field (e.g. sum of sales) i wanted to drive the sort.

I cannot find how to do this in Excel 2011. I suspect I am missing something or doing something wrong, but I cannot find.

It should be much easier to do this simple thing

11. JAT macrumors 603

More like your older brother's. Dad's would be Excel 4.0, and damn, that was a great program.
    Isn't it just the Sort button in the PivotTable tab of the Ribbon?