Office for Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by finch212, Jul 17, 2007.

1. finch212 macrumors newbie

i heard that office for windows is a lot better then the one we have for mac. Would it make sense to buy office for windows instead of for my mac and just use bootcamp when i need word or excel?

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is not neccesarily true. While office for windows does have a few things office for mac doesn't, the features aren't anything that you can't live without.

Restarting in bootcamp every time you needed to read a word document or a powerpoint presentation is just silly. You could use parallels, but that adds another 80 bucks to your already expensive purchase.

Buy it for mac, you will be fine.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it depends how often you need Word and Excel, Office 2008 should arrive in September/October and that will be on par with Office 2007 for Windows. You could use NeoOffice in the mean time.

4. Cavemate K macrumors member

And another couple hundered for the Windows OS!:eek:

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Just use NeoOffice or Open Office until Office 08 comes out.

6. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting Office also, going to wait till 08 comes out, but is it true if you have Office on a Mac you can get viruses?

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I think you can get the macro viruses which pretty much only affect Office.

8. Bow Rekk macrumors member

How much better is office than neooffice?

Is it worth the £50 or whatever with the student discount when I'll only be using it for whatever I would use it for doing a maths degree?

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For a maths degree i imagine you will be writing lots of reports containing lots of equations and variants thereof. This means you'll want a word processor that has good abilities in formatting and inputting equations. I don't know how good NeoOffice and Open Office are in these regards. Word with equation editor is pretty good but you could also check out LaTeX or Lyx as some people rave about its equation abilities. (although there is a pretty steep learning curve with these programs.) I'm assuming you'll be starting in October so buying office now would be jumping the gun, i'd stick with a free version for now and wait and see what/when Office is released. You may also be able to get it cheap through your University.

11. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Does Latex double as a word processor then? Or have I misunderstood...

I wasn't really planning on buying it yet but a mate of mine is thinking of getting a mac and he was asking about office last night. I told him just to get Neooffice 'cos it seemed to do it's job for me so far. I'm just wondering if that's sound advice. He'll be doing a maths degree too. Cheers for the advice anyway. :)

12. AVR2 macrumors 6502

I"m still using Office for Mac 2004 (running under Rosetta on my MBP) and the only issue I've ever had is that my version of Powerpoint doesn't handle embedded ActiveX items. This has meant that I've missed out on some joke Powerpoint presentations that weren't actually funny in the first place :cool: