Office for Mac problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hellhammer, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, I realized today that I need Powerpoint for school projects and decided to try the trial. I downloaded it from MS's site and installation was fine. Then when I launched PowerPoint, it asked for my serial and I pasted it from my e-mail but it didn't work. I tried everything and decided to uninstall the whole Office (I used uninstaller which came with Office). Reinstalled and it accepted my serial now, but when I try to open any office app, it says "Defective installation, run installer to solve problem". I ran it few times with no success, so I uninstalled it again. I also deleted all MS files which came with Office. Rebooted and downloaded a new trial with new serial. Installed okay but same problem occurred again. One thing came to my mind, installer said you need ~1.2GB free space but when I reinstalled, it only needed 900MB, so are there some hidden files somewhere which are defective? I'm not in a big need of this because my Acer has Office 2007 but I'd like to use my iMac instead of it because it sucks.

2. helix21 macrumors regular

I am stumped, dunno how i could help you but why dont you download and try iwork? Keynote is brilliant and better than powerpoint, plus from experience they work well together (but powerpoint doesnt support many of keynotes 3d effects)

3. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I already have iWork '09. Oh, I didn't know that it's possible to read Keynote files in PowerPoint (watched the video and I know how to do it now). I'm not using 3D stuff, just simple text and maybe few pics as well. Thanks, I really appreciate your help :cool:

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the problem might be. You should contact customer service to get them to help you with your issues with installing the trial.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've given up on MS office and espouse the use of openoffice (or neooffice). All the same functionality of MS office, better performance and none of the hassles.