Office for Mac problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Feb 11, 2010.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

Just upgraded my Intel iMac to SL. Running Office for Mac 2004.

I created an alias for both Excel and Word and placed them in the dock. If I open a Word or Excel doc in my email the dock creates a new Word or Excel icon in the Dock and opens it from that instead of the alias I created. When I close that document the icon disappears from the dock.

If I open the Word or Excel application from Finder it opens from the alias and doesn't create a Word or Excel icon in the dock.

I have been running Mac for Office for 5 years and this has never happened before

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You shouldn't create aliases first. Just drag the application icon into your Dock.

3. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Deleted the aliases. Then dragged the icons from Finder. Opened a Word file from an email and the same thing happened: new icon appeared on the dock and opened the file from there.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then drag the old icons out of the dock, control+click on the new ones, and select Keep in Dock.

5. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Right click the dock icon, then put the curser on 'Options' Keep in Dock is one of the Options..
    S

7. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Some of the icons have the "keep in dock" option (Safari, Entourage) and some don't (Excel, Word, iPhoto, iPhotos). It's weird.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Do the ones that don't have a "remove from dock" option? it switches between the two.