Office for Mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am thinking about leaving my windows 7 desktop I want to export MS Outlook 2007 pst file and import to MS Office 2008 which I still have (Entourage 2008) will it work or do I need to buy Office 2011? :apple:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Entourage 2008 does not support .pst files. Also, be very, very careful. If Entourage 2008 is compatible with your Exchange server, then Outlook 2011 is not. If you use Entourage EWS, then it is OK to upgrade to Outlook 2011.

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Office:Mac 2011's Outlook does support the .pst files from Windows Outlook. When I switched from Windows to Mac I was able to port my Outlook 2010 .pst file over to Office:mac 2011 Outlook without any issues at all. It was pretty simple.

Never used Office:mac 2008 so not sure how Entourage works in that respect.

4. SiG03 macrumors newbie

I would recommend upgrading to Office for Mac 2011. From what I've read, Outlook will read your .pst files from Outlook 2007 without having to convert them. From what I've read, Entourage used a different file format.

I have used both Office for Mac 2008/2011, and (Win) Office 2007/2010, and IMO Office 2011 has the most similarities when compared to the Windows version.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

While that's an important consideration it's also important to note that Outlook doesn't automatically mean Exchange. OP should really clarify what mail server is being used and which version of Exchange if it is Exchange.

6. Brigrat macrumors member

So here is my real life experience doing what you need to do:

1. you can import a .pst file in to outlook 2011 for mac; I did it three times and had thousands of corrupted emails each time.

2. If you load your .pst file in to a windows version of outlook, then drag all of the emails to a gmail account set up using imap, then set up the gmail account on your mac, you can then be certain all of your .pst data will be there and not be corrupted. I had over 22,000 emails to transfer and failed to get good data three times with outlook for mac, but succeeded on the first try using the transfer to gmail using imap.

good luck, PM me if you need more help; I am just finishing up this process now on my end.