Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Peter Franks, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Hi Guys

Just switched to Mac from Windows and need some help with a few things, but needed Word so downloaded Office trial.

There was no install preferences and I've been given all this Remote Desktop, Document connection, Automator, Messenger etc.. Do I need this stuff and can I just remove?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I would leave it. Sometimes deleting them causes Microsoft Offices Updater to complain.

3. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Keep them. When your drive gets small delete them.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, Fair point, What is Automator, If it's an Apple product why did it come with the Microsoft download?

Those extras I mention, Remote Desktop, Document connection, a lot of people didn't know what they are and only get them with something license related, but it's just the 30 day trial programme at the moment.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

If Automator is an Apple product, why did it appear in the dock when I downloaded Office for Mac, was it always on here, and can someone tell me what it is and if it's worth using?

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Automator is [in layman's terms] like a pimped up version of Microsoft's scheduled tasks feature in Windows, that Apple provides in OS X. No idea why a Office install caused it to move to your dock, but just drag it out if you do not like it.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, It added Remote Desktop, Document connection, Automator, Messenger etc. as well as the 4 programmes you expect to get all in the dock.

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, OCS (Office Communicator, think MSN for Corporate), MSN, Document Connection, and RDP) all get installed in the dock by default. There is a plug-in for Apple Automator that hooks into the Office suite - so most likely it got added to the dock. I used a retail installation and didn't see that. Remove it if you wish it only removes the alias, all are still in the OSX Applcations folder (also an alias in the Dock).

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you! Do you know if it's a pain to remove Office trial version after the 30 day trial and reinstall from a legitimate disc, because the online prices from everywhere but the trial site are much cheaper than them? Or will it cause installation problems not worth getting in to?

10. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Follow the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, thanks that's quite a bit of work.

It won't take Word docs with it will it, The fonts it mentions aren't related to what's on here is it?

12. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Your word docs should be stored in your documents folder so it won't take the docs with it.

As you intend to reinstall a licensed copy you can probably get away with following steps 1 to 4 and then deleting everything from trash described at step 9.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816