Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArmyKnight12, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Hello all,

I recently bought Office for Mac 2004 S & T edition (luckily for me it was on November 23th- so I saved $100). To upgrade to the 2008 edition, we just send in the rebate and a fee.

My question is: What is so good about Office 2008 for Mac Special Media vs. 2008 Home/Student edition. Besides having Exchange server support, what is so good about media version? I know it can only be put on one computer while the other can be copied to up to three home computers. Does the Media version offer anything special that iLife 08 doesn't?

Thanks. :apple:

2. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yeah, the "Media" version means it automatically tells all the major news media outlets to come to your house and interview you for having actually bought MS Office for Mac. :eek: :p

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

when does office for mac 2008 come out? and is office 2004 intel native code?

Because I can get mac office 2004 for 20 bucks through work. But if its not native then...blah.

4. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    MS Office '08 will be native. MS Office '04 came out before Apple even announced their hardware platform switch, so it's not -- and never will be -- native.

However, for $20... I mean, come on... is this even a serious question? Spend the $20 and be happy you're not spending $149 with the evil empire instead.

5. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Not native for intel and, quite frankly, it's the slowest loading app I have. However, if your $20 from work thing allows you to upgrade to 08 for free/cheap then I'd still go for it. You're still avoiding giving MS too much money ;)

6. japresl macrumors member

if office 2008 for mac is anything like 2008 for windows--I wouldn't want to upgrade. Office 2008 for Windows is horrible and harder than ever to use if you ask me. I would stick with '04. Anyone else feel the same?

7. TAKN macrumors newbie

I had an opportunity to try the Beta version of Office 2008 for Mac and I have to say that I am very impressed. It performs much better than 2004 and has a great interface overall.

Make the upgrade when it is released - it is very much worth it.