office for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twcarroll, Dec 15, 2010.

1. twcarroll macrumors newbie

I am buying a macbookpro for my wife for christmas, do i need to buy microsoft office along with it?

Basically I was wondering if a mac based program would open spread xl spread sheets and word files

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

You don't have to. You can always use Open Office (for free) or buy iWork but I would recommend MS Office for Mac 2011 if you need better compatibility with the Windows version of Office.

3. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I would try OpenOffice and NeoOffice (since they are both free) and get the free 30 day trial of iWork. You can see if any of those 3 meet you needs without spending anything. There should be a trial of Office 2011 soon after Christmas.

I've tried OpenOffice on a Windows machine and had a lot of issue with formatting when sharing files with people using MS Office (for Windows) If I just used the program for my own files/needs it would have been perfect, things would get messy when I worked with someone else. The Mac version may be better.

I have Office 2011 for my Mac and it works perfectly with all the Office files (2007 and 2003) that I moved over from my old Dell.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sticking with Office 2008. It works great, has no macro support (a benefit to security), and doesn't have that obnoxious ribbon toolbar! YMMV

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I use OpenOffice. I've had no trouble moving documents back and forth between the Mac and a PC with MS Office on it, though I haven't done it a LOT. But the price is right. If compatibility is essential, just get Office for Mac.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Not a fan of MS Office for Mac (I've had them all) but I must admit, MS FINALLY got it right with Office 2011...excellent update...
    (I use iWork as well but I find myself using MS 2011 more and more these days)...

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It depends on how complex those documents are.

If she currently uses a Windows machine and uses the Windows version of Office then yes, she'll probably want it. Or, if she is going to exchange documents with other Office users (Mac and Windows alike), she probably needs it. (Office offers the best compatibility among all the alternatives mentioned here).

Unlike it's windows counterpart, That ribbon can be turned off entirely now in Office 2011 for the mac. :)

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Microsoft Office if you are bringing business documents home from work, to work on them, save them, and take them back to work.

iWork or NeoOffice if you only need to view Microsoft Office documents from work, or if you are creating simple documents (invitations, school homework and reports, etc) that don't use Macros or other advanced features.

9. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I was in the same boat and ended up getting my wife Office since it was what she's used to and, more importantly, my company offers a massive discount through the MS HUP. Check to see if your employer can hook you up -- I paid about $11.

10. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

If your wife is coming from, or still using, Windows PCs and Office, then I say yes, get it. Not only will it compliment the macbook pro, but it will give her a familiar place to work with, while she learns everything else that's new (Mac OS X). If she's already an apple user, then just find out what software she uses/prefers and get that for the new machine, whether it's Office or not.

11. bob-wong macrumors newbie

Office 2011 on MBP 13"

Any of you guys using Office 2011 on a 13 inches MBP? What about the screen resolution, do you feel like you could really use some more real estate? Does it bother you at all?

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It doesn't bother me a bit. At least no more than any other application on a 13" mac. 1280x800 yields the same "real estate" on any screen.

I assigned a keyboard shortcut to hide/show the ribbon - mainly because it's stupid. Of course I'm older now and don't like change so most things are stupid to me. :D

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! I know exactly how you feel! :D

14. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

All of these work perfectly fine. It just depends if you want to pay for the software or not.. I use iWork 09 and its been perfect for me with my studies.

15. InfinitySquared macrumors member

I thought the old Mac office was terrible, but the '11 edition works like a dream on my 13" pro.

It's been seriously streamlined, and I couldn't stand using pages because it couldn't work natively in .doc (it could save into that format, but it would give me annoying messages about saving progress if I didn't save a .pages, and it would have to convert a .doc when I open it.)

Also, screen real estate hasn't been a serious issue for me. But then I've never minded scrolling. Word documents aren't like photoshop, there's nothing wrong with seeing only part of the document at a time. And Word doesn't take up much horizontal space, so I can run it side-by-side with other applications without feeling awkward, unlike the last version.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I've been very happy with iWorks 09 since I moved to mac earlier this year. i suggest doing the 30 day free trial to see if it is for you.

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It depends on what kind of user you or she might be. If you're doing basic documents, I'd look at one of the free options or iWork which is inexpensive. Of course you could go Office if you're comfortable using that suite (coming from Windows?). Despite all the hate for Office, this is the closest I've seen it to it's Windows counterpart and the ribbon is wonderful, allows you to find things much quicker vs. the toolbox in 2008 (hated that thing).

18. Squadleader macrumors regular

I would first check with the company you work for...(If you do I mean)..Thru my own company I was able to purchase Office 11 for 9.99..I bought a Windows version and a Mac Version...(Enterprise something or other)...

19. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I work for a small company so that probably wouldn't work for me. How does this work? Do you have to be part of a volume purchase to get such a low price?

20. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I have been using MS Office 2011 for Mac and it's MUCH MUCH better than the older versions. It's very similar to the PC version so good from a fimilarity point of view.

The screen "real estate" on the 13" isn't an issue. In fact i'm usually zooming into things instead. But that could also be cause of my aging eyes.

21. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I ended up buying Office right away when I got my MBP. I figured I already had tons of word documents and powerpoint projects saved that it would be a good investment to get it since the majority of my tasks involve word or powerpoint. Office 11 is a pretty nice version. I'm not too familiar with office on mac in pervious versions, but I really like the 11 version.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm also happy with Mac Office 11. I use Office 2007 on my work PC and it's nice to have a pretty easy transition from one to the other. Never used previous versions of Office on Mac, so nothing to compare against. I bought the Academic version through my school (part time graduate program) as it includes Outlook and was $57. It is NOT the Student/Teacher edition but a third edition Microsoft doesn't advertise much.