Office Headset for iPhone 5/5s

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I work from my home office and make a lot of calls. I've tried using the earbud headset and it hurts my ears. It's too cumbersome to hold the phone all the time and speakerphone doesn't work the best for what I'm doing.

Is there a nice over the head, monaural headset that works well? I'm fine with an office headset that needs an adapter two to work.

Preferable something with volume control, mute and noise rejection. But I'll take what I can get.

Any ideas would be great.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Jabra GO 6470.

Works with office phone, computer (Lync or other), plus bluetooth to cellphone. Earhook or over-the-head.

3. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

I have the same problem as you and I tried around 10 different earbuds/headset etc.

There is only ONE that I can forget when I were it: the Bose mie2i
    The ear tip is SOOOO soft, you can't be wrong.

I also had the Bose Bluetooth Series 2 which is also great but I just prefer Stereo!

4. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer something wired that doesn't go in-ear....like this:

[​IMG]

ideas?

5. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd suggest you also look at Plantronics. They've been in the office / callcenter headset business a long time.

I'll reassert my suggestion for the Jabra Go 6470 or 6430 above. Hits all your points and then some.

7. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just seems like extreme over kill. All I want is a wired 3.5mm over ear headset that works with iPhone.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Understood. Remember also that if you're on the phone with customers, audio quality is important.

Unfortunately I suspect you'll only find quality over-the-ear wired headsets built for USB or deskphone connections. A few exist with a 2.5mm jack to work with consumer grade desk or cordless phones, and I bet you can find 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters. You'll have to do all your controls on your phone though and they're unlikely to have any active noise cancelling. I've never seen an office headset built to work with iphone controls (which you'd want ideally).

You might check out HelloDirect.com -- they've been in the headset business a long time.

Good luck.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

10. Robster3, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Robster3 macrumors 68000

11. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm okay with spending some money, but I have a feeling that theres a lot of money into the whole bluetooth part of that device. I just want a quality 3.5mm headset. Controls would be nice, but not necessary. Bluetooth drains battery and needs to be charged.

I picked it up, I'll see how it goes, hopefully keyboard clicking won't be too loud. I just wish there was a nice ~$50 headset with iphone controls and a boom mic.

12. takeshi74, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You'd probably have more luck finding a PC headset like the Sennheiser PC 21-II or Plantronics equivalent (looks like you'd have to find a discontinued product from them as their current PC line is all USB) and using an adapter. There just isn't much demand for over-the-head wired headsets for use with mobile devices.

EDIT: Plantronics M175RT35 looks to have a 3.5mm connector for mobile phones.

13. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do they make adapters like that? The PC headsets have 2 3.5mm plugs, Mic & Earpiece. Where would I get and adapter that combines the two for iphone?

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've seen the reverse on Amazon to use an iphone headset on a dual-jack computer, so I'd suggest looking there. Pay attention to reviews of course.

Another thought - different design than requested, but maybe worth trying. Sennheiser PMX-685i headphones. I use a pair of the previous model 680i for running. They're very comfortable for long periods of wear, and drape on your neck easily. The earpieces sit on the outside of your ear unlike earbuds, so ambient sound isn't blocked unless the volume is up too high. In-line mic with volume up/down and answer/reject/play/pause just as any Apple iDevice in-line controls.