Office Home and Student edition upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by testcard, Jun 9, 2009.

1. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I have a MacBook with Office 2008 Home and Student edition. Works great, except I discovered that can't use Entourage to sync with my Exchange 2007 server at work. If I bought Office 2008 for Mac, Standard Edition, Upgrade Version, would this do the trick? I certaintly don't want to have to buy the full Office suite! Finally, would the upgrade version install on top of the Home and Student edition I have now? Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not sure, but I think this is something Snow Leopard is supposed to address.

I don't think any of the current versions of Office are going to do what you want until SL comes out.

Someone will correct me if that is wrong ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

When I tried to open a new account in Entourage, I got a message that Home and Student edition wouldn't let me do this - I'd need to get a higher spec version of Office. Reading the specs on the Apple software site, this why: "Note: Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition does not support Exchange Server." I'm fairly certain that other - more expensive - versions of Office do support Exchange server. I just don't want to spend more money than necessary, particularly if an upgrade does the job.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Dont get office 08, its missing all kinds of stuff. wait for 09 if it ever comes

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The upgrade version will check for an upgrade from Office 2004, so (unless you have an Office 2004 disc lying around), that won't help you.

Since you're using Exchange at work, ask to see if your employer is part of the Microsoft Home Use Program. Under that, employees can purchase Microsoft software (including Office:Mac) for a reduced price that is less expensive than buying an upgrade version at retail.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Thanks for the reply Nadyne. If I understand you correctly, an upgrade only works for an earlier version of Office, and brings it up-to-date. It's not intended to upgrade a low spec version of 2008 to a high spec version of 2008?
    I'll certainly check with my employer as we use both Microsoft and Mac products.

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

That's correct: it's upgrading from Office 2004 to Office 2008.

It's definitely a good thing to check, since it's much cheaper than buying it at a retail store. :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Thanks for confirming that - much appreciated.