office:mac 2008 installs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by airic82, Jan 21, 2008.

1. airic82 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm about to buy my first MacBook and I was looking at office:mac 2008. My roommate has 2004 Student Edition and that comes with 3 installs, so I was wondering if 2008 does the same. He said I could use one of his installs, but then another friend and I were looking at buying an upgrade to 2008 Standard Edition because we wanted Microsoft Exchange Server support in Entourage.

My other friend and I were going to go in and split the upgrade cost and each use an install if it's like 2004 was, but we're not sure and wanted to find out before we purchased it.

Thanks!
    -Eric

2. aosman macrumors 6502

The Home/Student edition of 2008 comes with three keys (mine did at least)

3. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

Office 2008 Standard Edition has exchange server support, however, the license only allows you to install it on one computer. Home and Student edition allows you to install it on three computers but lacks exchange server support.

Guess you have to decide what's most important.:confused:

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

In addition, since it sounds like you are at least trying to stay license-legal... The "Home and Student" version's license specifically says that the multiple licenses are only valid for multiple computers in the same household, where household does not include a college dorm. So dorm-mates do not qualify, unfortunately.

5. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I haven't read the Office 2008 license agreement, but the full version (with
    exchange support) should allow for one desktop and one laptop. I hope so anyway...

Home and Student allow 3 installs (you get activation 3 keys)

6. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Anyone know if you can recover a used key to install the software on a replacement computer?

I have an old iMac G5 and PowerBook G4. I installed Office:mac 2008 on both machines. Sometime this summer I plan to get a PowerMac system and a new MacBook Pro. Will I need to purchase another copy of Office in order to install on both new machines, or can I somehow remove it from the old machines and recover the keys to use again?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're no longer using it on the old machine then you can use the same key on your new one.