Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hi,

Have a retina MBP and just bought office for mac 2011. The resolution looks like crap on word. So I was trying to follow this: http://rdfsg.blogspot.ca/2012/06/iwork-pagesmacbook-pro-retina-display.html

I hit "Get Info" and it brings up the typical screen. I see that "Open in Low Resolution" is clicked, but its greyed out where I can't unclick it, click "Locked", or unclick "Hide Extension".

How do I make it so I can change that?

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
You can't, even if you could it wouldn't make a difference because MS Office is low res only. And it doesn't look like MS is in a hurry to update it for retina either.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...88-4f1f-844f-013c905d5996?tab=MoreHelp&page=1

Funny thing is, OpenOffice and LibreOffice, (which are free btw) fully support retina and are free. I just started using OpenOffice personally in the last few days myself, I am pretty impressed no compatibility problems thus far, it basically looks and functions like MS Office and its free, and the text dont look like fuzzy dog crap. In fact it looks amazing.

MS might of just lost a Office Customer forever.

Last edited:

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Ya I gave support a call. After about an hour they said they are experiencing the same thing on their end. They have had quite a few calls about it from customers and told their tech team to work on it.

I worry about their retina update. I had open office but there are a few documents I've lost data on, and a few that revert to old data from months, even a year, ago. But only when sending. I'll email it a pdf and see the new data. But client on the other end receives old data.

Pages gave me a few compatibility issues. I'd like to use pages but can't handle the compatibility issues. And I wouldn't mind open office but can't deal with lost data, weird sending issues, and struggling with basic excel formulas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.