Office Mac 2011 Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickcage49, Nov 14, 2010.

1. nickcage49 macrumors newbie

I am having a number of issues with Office Mac 2011 and I hope someone can help me. Their help pages and Google aren't helping me.

1) When I import contacts there are a number of duplications. Does anyone know of a script that can help with that?

2) In mail I want to only enable one mailbox to receive and the rest to send only and I can't figure out a way to configure that. Any ideas?

3) In mail when I want to compose a message it automatically goes to my default account. When I change accounts the signature for that account doesn't come up. The one for the default account stays there.

4) Also old reminders keep coming up. Any way to get rid of those?

5) In mail when I take the system offline it still receives messages. Any way to change that?

Please help! I was really looking forward to the release of this product and it is starting to look like more Microsoft crap. Man, Entourage was better and I hated that!:(

2. RubberDucky1 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with old reminders that just won't go away.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you connecting to an Exchange server? That can cause old reminders to come up. On the Windows version it's a matter of deleting the main .pst file and letting Exchange recreate it, but I don't know how that works on the Mac version.

4. Adolf0 macrumors newbie

Issues? Lots of them

Hi you all. I want to comment my experience with Office 2011, and why am I doing the most estrange things to get MS Office working in my laptop.

a) The background: My university has a "Campus licence" for the most complete MSOffice versions, both for W7 and Mac. I have a MacBook Pro 7,1 with 4Gb RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 duo processor and 500 Gb HDD. It's not the most modern computer in the world, I know, but it's a pretty decent machine. At least for running an Office suite.
    b) Suffering 2011: My first good impression about speed improvements in MSO 2011 for Mac rapidly went away. As soon as I started to work with heavy spreadsheets (tens of thousands data) with very simple charts, the mere fact of scrolling to locate a given datum or chart was incredibly slow. Working with the same document on the same computer on a (Bootcamp - Win7) installation of Office 2007 was easy and fluid. No problem at all. Afterwards I upgraded the suite to 2010, same result: On the Bootcamp partition, Win7 64 bits, it was possible to work. On Mac, on the other hand, it wasn't.
    c) The estrange things: Last night I was working very late on a report. I needed to have my Word 2011 doc open alongside with a number of spreadsheets. I tried always to close the Excel docs I wasn't using (don't need of that on Office for Win7, though). Copying a very simple chart from an app to the other, pasting it as figure, caused many messages of the kind "Excel is waiting for other app to complete an OLE operation". Editing a simple equation was a matter of painful waiting. No other program was running. After eternal spinballs and freezes, I decided to try an alternative: I installed Office 2010 for Windows on a VMWare Fusion Win XP installation. And I can't believe it is possible to work fluidly even on the virtual machine!
    I really don't know what kind of benchmarks they use at Microsoft to test their Mac applications. Clearly, my poor report and humble spreadsheets are too much for Office 2011. It no only "feels" slow (the scroll issue) but it's not possible to work (five minutes to paste a figure, spinballs, freezes). Is my computer too outdated to run Office 2011... I don't think so, since the Bootcamp side allows to work fine. And (the oddest thing) now I'm finishing my report using VMWare Fusion and Office 2010 for Windows.... on my MacOS X Snow Leopard (with all the latest updates).
    This is my experience. Maybe my docs have certain particular features that cause this behavior - I can mail them to you if you wanna try. From my viewpoint, I don't understand what do we need such a complete office suite if it only allows to write letters to my aunt.
    Maybe next MSOffice suite for Mac should be based on virtualization techniques, because none of the previous (and the current) versions are suitable for professional use.
    Sorry for the long post. Regards