Office Mac 2011 Lag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appleminion, Apr 2, 2015.

1. appleminion macrumors member

I just got Office Mac 2011 and when I open previously saved documents such as word documents or powerpoint slides, there's a delayed response almost like a stuttering (it takes like half a second to load) when scrolling through the documents. For example, when scrolling though a powerpoint slide, the previous slide will be blank for a split second and then show the words of the slide. Is this normal? Is it just due to the fact that Office Mac 2011 is pretty outdated and not optimized for the retina MBPs? System specs are 512gb ssd, 16gb ram and 2.9 i5 so I don't think it's the machine.

2. mactastic1337 macrumors newbie

Office Mac 2011 Lag

With your specs you shouldn't be seeing any lag. As you stated it's a pretty outdated app, you should try out the new Office for Mac 2016 Beta Preview.
    Keep in mind its still in Beta, but so far for me it's light years better than 2011.

https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview

3. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

There's been a lot of updates since 2011. If you just got it, check for updates under the Help menu. The latest version is 14.4.8.

Update: Forgot to add run Repair Permissions after you update. Office 2011 has lots of files and shared libraries. Bad permissions on something will cause problems.