Office:Mac / Office 365

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottNWDW, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I just signed up for an Office 365 subscription trial and was able to load Office 2013 onto my Windows 7 laptop. Office 365 allows you to install Office on up to 5 machines (Mac or PC), however it is not showing my installation of Office 2011 on my Mac.

I had Office 2011 on my Mac already, so I deleted the version that I had. I reinstalled through Office 365 a new copy of Office:mac 2011 and it all works just fine, but does not show up on my Office 365 account as being installed on my Mac. My account only shows the one installation on my Windows PC. Without it being shown on the Mac, I am unable to seamlessly (as they say) access my documents from either machine. Rather than directly save them to the Sky Drive, which works great on the PC, unable to do so on the mac without first uploading the item and then downloading the item.

From my understanding having the Office 365 was supposed to eliminate that issue. The way it looks right now though I never installed Office:mac 2011 at all through Office 365 and that defeats the purpose of having the subscription. I have tried 3 times to install Office:mac through Office 365, but my account still only shows the one installation.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Office 365 is just a different way to acquire Office 2011 (on the Mac side). It's not a different app. Office 365 is simply a subscription model for purchasing Office. It doesn't offer any SkyDrive functionality that you couldn't already do with the "normal" Office releases.

For "seamless" document sync, you just need to install the SkyDrive app on your Mac and save/open your documents from your SkyDrive folder. This solution doesn't require Office 365 either. Again, Office 365 is just a different way to purchase an Office license. Well, to rent one, at least.