Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revo Runner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
I have an Samsung Galaxy running android and it came with Office. I didn't know it saves everything online. It saves everything online and I just do not trust that, with Office before the online stuff came into existence if you lost your data to a dead HD then it was practically "safely gone" I just do not feel too comfortable with my documents online. Anyone else that uses Office and saves it online? I think the human race is getting too trustworthy.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I believe if you sign up for a Office365 subscription then you can store files on the device, although I'm not sure.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Anyone else that uses Office and saves it online? I think the human race is getting too trustworthy.

It is not that I have privacy concerns with Microsoft but rather that they are a crooked and unreliable company when it comes to cloud storage. Just recently they dropped the amount of storage available to free users, which would force them to either pay for more storage or remove data. Granted, they did this to free accounts only but it still diminishes my trust. Personally, I use Google Drive and Google Docs if I need office programs on my Android device, or Microsoft Office Word with Dropbox connected to it (since they aren't crooks).

Reactions: komatsu

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
It is not that I have privacy concerns with Microsoft but rather that they are a crooked and unreliable company when it comes to cloud storage.

Totally agree.

What is more. God help you if you forget what email address you registered Office 365 to.

Often, the only solution MS support will present to users will be to buy another subscription.
There is something seriously wrong with that. As corporations go, MS is one of the more crooked ones.

Reactions: Altemose

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Only Microsoft could upgrade a user's operating system without their consent. Apple would never even dream of that...

Yeah...that is pure bully-boy stuff and I am surprised that there was not more of a user backlash against
them because of this.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah...that is pure bully-boy stuff and I am surprised that there was not more of a user backlash against
them because of this.
There was not much backlash because people felt they were "getting something for free" from them, when in reality they just have been paying an arm and a leg for software that is nowhere near worth it for years. The cost was built in...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Only Microsoft could upgrade a user's operating system without their consent. Apple would never even dream of that...
But Apple instead constantly notify you to update to latest version. There is nowhere apple is better than Microsoft.
I still can see how apple being obsessed to force user updating their iPhone/iPad to the latest version available for that device.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
But Apple instead constantly notify you to update to latest version. There is nowhere apple is better than Microsoft.
I still can see how apple being obsessed to force user updating their iPhone/iPad to the latest version available for that device.

On my iPhone, I get a notification of the software update and merely a little red "1" on top of the Settings icon when there is an update. On my Mac, I get a notification which I dismiss and then a small reminder in Software Update. That is worlds better than Microsoft.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
On my iPhone, I get a notification of the software update and merely a little red "1" on top of the Settings icon when there is an update. On my Mac, I get a notification which I dismiss and then a small reminder in Software Update. That is worlds better than Microsoft.
Such as "this" is "worlds better" than Microsoft? I can still remember iOS update constantly being automatically downloaded and periodically notify user to update. Mac? Just download, and notify. No way to remove it.
Apple is nowhere much better than Microsoft.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Such as "this" is "worlds better" than Microsoft? I can still remember iOS update constantly being automatically downloaded and periodically notify user to update. Mac? Just download, and notify. No way to remove it.
Apple is nowhere much better than Microsoft.

iOS does automatically download, but the user can decide when to install or can remove the download. OS X does not automatically download a new OS. Therefore, yes Apple is much better than Microsoft when it comes to upgrading OSs.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS does automatically download, but the user can decide when to install or can remove the download. OS X does not automatically download a new OS. Therefore, yes Apple is much better than Microsoft when it comes to upgrading OSs.
Hmm. Mac OS X can be set to not download updates. But iOS? Yes, you can delete downloaded updates but then iOS will download them again, and notify you again. I have seen this repeat at least three times.
For Windows user, if they know how to play with registry or Group Policy Editor, then they still can disable auto update on their devices, thus preventing system update being automatically downloaded and installed. This works even on windows 10.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
For Windows user, if they know how to play with registry or Group Policy Editor, then they still can disable auto update on their devices, thus preventing system update being automatically downloaded and installed. This works even on windows 10.

If we keep the playing field level, and only discuss desktop OSs for instance so Windows 10 vs OS X. Windows has you go into a policy editor vs. OS X just asking? Seems to be a stark difference to me.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If we keep the playing field level, and only discuss desktop OSs for instance so Windows 10 vs OS X. Windows has you go into a policy editor vs. OS X just asking? Seems to be a stark difference to me.
Oh, here is something you miss.
Windows 10 need to go to Group Policy editor to disable automatic update now.
Mac? I remember there is a setting in "Mac App Store" which is supposed to be the one capable of turning off OS X auto update stuff altogether. But I do tick that one off while OS X update still pops up as usual.
Maybe my case is rare I think.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Oh, here is something you miss.
Windows 10 need to go to Group Policy editor to disable automatic update now.
Mac? I remember there is a setting in "Mac App Store" which is supposed to be the one capable of turning off OS X auto update stuff altogether. But I do tick that one off while OS X update still pops up as usual.
Maybe my case is rare I think.

I don't ever get a new OS to download on its own, but I do let OS X update itself. All the settings are here in System Preferences:
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 12.20.56 PM.png

I just find it ridiculous that Microsoft hides a setting like that in the policy editor.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't ever get a new OS to download on its own, but I do let OS X update itself. All the settings are here in System Preferences: View attachment 641217

I just find it ridiculous that Microsoft hides a setting like that in the policy editor.
No. I mention that place is because group policy editor setting ALWAYS works while windows update settings now in windows 10 removes the option to disable system update as a whole.

In this case, Apple is a tad better than Microsoft.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No. I mention that place is because group policy editor setting ALWAYS works while windows update settings now in windows 10 removes the option to disable system update as a whole.

In this case, Apple is a tad better than Microsoft.

Very good point, and I just don't understand why Microsoft would bury that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.