Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Office or iWork?

• Office

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • iWork

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its not dead, and Oracle didn't kill it. They (Oracle) gave it to the Apache group.

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

Yes, but its already been forked and all (except for IBM) independent proponent have embraced LibreOffice. Plus Apache's permissive license means that people don't have to publish the source code. That is the the product can be used for commercial application without publishing the source code. So far few people in the open source realms are dropping LibreOffice in favor of OpenOffice.

So its basically dead, except for those organizations that want to take OpenOffice and make a commercial variant (read IBM and/or Oracle)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I use OpenOffice with the plug in from Sourceforge. It's very handy since I have one office suite that is exactly the same for my ThinkPad with Windows, Linux, and my MacBook Pro.

Cross platform solutions are getting better all the time.

That said I also have iWork. I'm all about choices and there are aspects and features in Pages that I really like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.