Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I am going to need one of these for schools and was wondering what the difference is. Obviously iWorks is cheaper but does Office do some things better? I currently have Office on my PC.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am going to need one of these for schools and was wondering what the difference is. Obviously iWorks is cheaper but does Office do some things better? I currently have Office on my PC.

I have both and have used Office for Windows forever. I recommend going with Office for Mac as well. Far more features, better compatibility and you're already used to how it works.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use MS Office for Mac daily and can tell you it runs perfectly fine. I routinely share files with Windows users and have no problems at all. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc. Searching the forum will reveal dozens of threads discussing these various alternatives and the pros and cons of each.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Depends on what you want to do with the documents.

For sharing around (including submitting editable docs to faculty) Office is probably better.

If your documents are for yourself or going straight to print or PDFs then iWorks may be better. If your faculty will accept PDFs... then you may not need Office. If you collaborate a lot, then you probably do. If you need fancy schmancy footnotes then you need to do some more research.

Office has more features... but if you aren't using those features they can get in the way. iWorks has most features that most people need, and it's better at making your documents look good.

For more details, you should read one of the other 900+ threads that already exist.....

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Try NEO Office or one of the other variants. It's free and will handle most school needs. I know a number of students who used it for. Four or more years of school no problem.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
If we have iWork on a Mac, and a Windows user has Office, can we seamlessly share files back and forth? (like .doc, .xls, etc) Or not so much?

djharris

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Virginia, USA
Ask your school if they have any discounts on office for Mac. My college allowed purchase for $80 (some may offer it for free) and the local public school district allows download for $10 through the home use program for parents to purchase on behalf of students. Dept of the navy civilians and active duty can also use the home use program at that price for personal use through NMCI.

OCICILIONI

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2011
Orlando, FL
which for school

I recommend Office for MAC. Unfortunately, most schools are still running windows computers. It is nice to be able to take a Microsoft office document that you created on your Apple computer using Office for Mac and email it or put it on a thumb drive and be able to open it on a school computer when you have to print a file at school. Also, with presentations, PowerPoint is still more universally utilized than Keynote.

Many schools have licensing where you can get Office for Mac at a discounted rate.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Overall, I think MS Office a superior product. It has more features, is the industry standard and Microsoft seems to update Office more then apple does with iWork (On OSX).

I found numbers to be very lacking in what it has to offer in functions and compatibility with excel. While the UI is quite well done, the stuff behind the UI is lacking. :(

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Agree with the others, you might be better off with Microsoft Office for mac. I work in a windows environment and frequently have to collaborate with people on Word docs and Power Point presentations, as do my students because they do a lot of project work. I think the iWorks office is very nice, but with MO for mac you don't need to worry about compatibility issues when you're working with others on a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.