Office or Keynote?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

Which is better? I think my college reccomends Office so i will probably get that. Does it work well?

Also i read of a new osx i think its called snow lepord .. but anyways, when it comes out. i can buy that right? if i buy the current macbook with lepord and in 2009 they come out with the new one, i can purchase snow lepoard and download it to the mac i have??

Thanks

2. tkiss macrumors regular

I've heard that a lot of people prefer Office over Keynote, especially the ones switching over.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

To me, Office for mac is a complete waste of money. It costs a lot more, and it's quite counter intuitive (for me at least). I've used iWork since it was first released and it's pretty good, especially for $80.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Better is quite subjective depending on a lot of factors, the differences come down to personal preference and how much you will be dealing with Office documents, your course?, etc. etc.

Snow Leopard. Yes you will be able to install it on your Macbook.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i have both...iwork has a lot better software buut some run into compatibility issues with it so they use office. Both are great, especially since you can make a word doc within pages :)

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I have office 08 and iWork 08. I find myself using Pages more often than word, and exporting them to word format when I need to. It's easier and more intuitive, and I live and die by the notes column on the side. I use keynote to create presentations, but PowerPoint to view ones made by my professors (sometimes keynote converts .ppt and they get a bit messy). I stick to excel over numbers all the time, because Numbers seems a bit limited for what I need to do.

Personally, I'd suggest doing a trial of each. It really comes down to personal preference, as both are reasonably functional for the same tasks.

Hope that helps at all.