Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
i just opened up word and powerpoint to do a project thats due thursday, and im having a problem....both worked fine yesterday

so i click the icon, bounces in the dock a few times, get the startup screen thingy..then the program opens for like .2 seconds, and it quits automatically
then the error message that says "word/excel/powerpoint qiut unexpectedly. no other mac os x applications were affected"

i repaired disk permissions and restarted

i dont have the install discs with me since they are at home and i am at college
the copy was purchased, not pirated......this is realyl annoying and now i might have to do this project on a damn PC.....

please help! thanks

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
edit: when i go to documents in my folder, they open in word fine.......

if it was a bad icon/shortcut in the dock, wouldnt it just not open at all and have that faded out question mark?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
use neo office if yoou don't get it working, unless you have iWork.

have you downloaded all updates to the programs?

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
i have no idea what uno is??

i dont think microsoft updates office for mac w/ downloadable updates

and yes, PP files open up fine in PP too

when i search for office in spotlight, i only get 1 app, i open it, the icon in the dock bounces, and the same error

onyl when i open an existing document will it work

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
when i try to open the version off my external HD (which bootable) i have the same problem.....opens up a new office icon in the dock, bounces, quits....but thats off the external drive

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Glad to hear that you can at least open the program normally through a existing file. At least you can get your presentation done for now, even though the problem still exists. I assume you tried running the application from inside the applications folder as opposed to the dock? It seems weird that it would work from a pre-made file and not normally. The only thing I can think of is something weird with the dock icons.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
yeah thats what i thought too.......but if there were a problem with the icon, why would the program actually open, and then quit

it should just have the faded out question mark over it

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
does anyone have any idea what it could be? ive tried opening it from the dock, from the applications folder, and from my external drive

same error

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
i do remember some downloadable updates when i had office for mac

check mactopia.com

maybe there is one that will fix the problem

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I suddenly noticed the same problem in Office X on my iMac just after I installed UNO (effectively a theme changing app) however my identical iBook G4 is fine. It's really weird. It only happens with PowerPoint for me. I've looked for updates (none since it's been superseded by Office 2004) and I've deleted preference files but to no avail. I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat. It doesn't seem to be UNO because my iBook doesn't have the problem and your machine doesn't have UNO. :(

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Do any of your other MS Office applications also quit when you open them?

I'm wondering if you may have inadvertantly installed more than one copy of Office and your project in progress is working off of a different install?

Save what you have already and try to download an updater.

My mind is blank at the moment sorry.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
ugh....wow

just got off the phone with office tech support over at microsoft......i dont think i will ever buy another microsoft product again

i tell her the problem

her: ok well youll need to reinstall it bc its corrupt
me: i dont have the disc, im at college.....how is it corrupt if i can still open and edit existing docs?
her: you can open them, but cant edit and save changes
me: yes i can
her: no you cant
me: are yuo calling me a liar?
her: no, but you cant save them
me: i intended on buying future office updates, but now i will resort to "other" means of obtaining them ( ive never stolen any software/music/vid in my life before)
her: do yuo have any files in your user library that begin with "microsoft..."
me: no....
her: well your applications are corrupt then
me: why would they just go corrupt for no reason? they worked fine yesterday
her: well you said you instaleld it 2 years ago, so its not uncommon
me: its common for your product to stop working after 2 years?
her: well its not surprising if the same thing happens only a week after you buy it....its very common
me: i knew microsoft sold unreliable software, but never thought id hear them actually admit that
her: well it happens to many software companies
me: well ive had 3 different macs over 4 years and the 1 time i had a problem with their software, they gave me a 200 dollar credit towards a future purchase
her: well all you need to do is reinstall the program off the install disc
me: im at college and dont have the disk in my dorm room....can you just email me the files?
her: no
me: ok and what if i reinstall word, and it still doesnt work
her: itll work
me: if it doesnt.............
her: then you call back and we will figure it out
me: i was told if i have to call back it will cost me 35 dollars
her: yes
me: ok........this is certainly the last microsoft product i ever buy. i used to think office was a pretty decent set of software....but now i will just tell people i completely hate it....thanks, goodnight

im fuming

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I just found the solution after much trial and error and one reinstall (actually unnecessary).

There's a problem with having 3ivx, DivX and Flip4Mac on the same machine. I only had 3ivx and Flip4Mac so I deleted 3ivX and everything is working properly now. I think you have to choose between having the 3ivX and DivX combination or Flip4Mac. Remember to use the uninstallers where applicable. :)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
That 1st 45 minutes on hold to speak with someone with a very heavy Hindi accent always seems to get people in great mood.

I spent 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft Customer Service in India explaining that their update to SP1 fragged my daughter's Sony.

Their initial answer was to re-install the OS.

There were 3 years of original stories she had written on that hard drive and all I wanted was a repair CD.

As usual they tried to hand me off to Sony saying that if their OEM CD's didn't include a repair function that I was S.O.L.

Two supervisory levels later and several safe mode repair attempts finally convinced them to mail me an actual copy of Windows XP.

Yes she should have saved her stories to backup CD's but she was 12.

The computer was fine until we downloaded the SP1 update.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
update:

after having my office cd shipped to me and doing the uninstall + reinstall that "guaranteed 100%" would fix the problem, it still didnt work

i call back microsoft, they walk me through some troubleshoot for about an hour or so, cant fix it

conclusion: its apple's OS, you should call them
me: are you joking.....i was told this would work. office is the only program that doesnt work. you really are the worst compnay ever
them: call apple, not our problem

so i call apple, even though i know its not their problem, and my computer isnt even under warranty with them

me: hi im really really sorry, and i know my computer isnt covered under warranty anymore, but i just got off the phone with M$ and they told me there was something wrong with OS X, and not office. so do you think you could help me
them:well we could do a few things, but it really sounds like its an office problem
me: i couldnt agree more, but they refused to help me and im on my wits end here
them: well lets see what we can do

so we reset the pram, asks me if i have any bad memory, etc....on the phone for about 20minutes.....still no beans, but i thank them a lot

so basically this just shows how great a company apple is......try to help me, when my machine is ovoer the warranty by more then a year, and its not even their problem. and microsoft tells me its not their problem, when its only their software that crashes, and they cannot help me. ****ing ridiculous

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.