Office programs won't open now after upgrading to Lion.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by techforcity, Jul 25, 2011.

1. techforcity macrumors newbie

Hey guys. For some reason my office icons have a circle with a line through it after upgrading to Lion and I can't open any of the programs and it says that support has been discontinued for PowerPC applications or something to that matter. Is anyone else having this issue? This is going to be a problem for me because I use these programs EVERYDAY.

Is there a way to fix this?

2. Col Vandal macrumors member

Apple dropped support for Rosetta with 10.7. None of your PowerPC programs will work anymore, including Office. Time to upgrade your version of Office, or downgrade back to 10.6.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or get iWork.

4. tencentcat macrumors newbie

tencentcat

Rosetta's been removed from Lion. The only options to fix this are to update to an Intel version of Office or go back down to Snow Leopard.

5. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Buy Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. No worries, its a really good upgrade.

6. techforcity thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't get why they would do something like this. It doesn't make any sense.

7. Kanunu, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Kanunu macrumors 6502

iWork not a full replacement for Office

I tried iWork when I first got my Mac about a year ago and it changed about half of my spreadsheet formulas to values. I had to dump it and got Office 2010 and a free upgrade to 2011. It may be OK for light duty work but not complicated sheets.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's all I use. Works great. Maybe the version you used was old.

9. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Why continue to use old products? With an upgrade of an OS, you should expect that some software will not work. It's time to move past PowerPC programs and get up-to-date with the new stuff.

Office 2004 is the version that is no longer supported. 2008 & 2011 are working with Lion.

10. MrWaffles macrumors member

Office 2011 for Mac has been really great. The best version I have worked with in a while. It worth the upgrade, especially if you can get it somewhere for a good price.

11. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Your version of Office is no longer supported by Microsoft, why should Apple support it?

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You should have read something prior to upgrading. It is like the very first thing most reviews mention.