Office questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wayland1985, Jan 14, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I bought office 2004 for my Powerbook a while back. At the time, there was a nice sale on it at the Apple store. Will there be similar sales for Office 2008??? Or do they only happen around the new-school year??

And will there be an office 2009? Or will 2008 be around for a while???

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

stick with 04 imo. nothing really 08 can do that it cant. i even believe theyve added support for the new file types found in 08 in the 04 version. not to mention that its lighter on resources and will be faster on your comp than 08 is!

usually they relaese office every 3-4 or so years if the past is any indication

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I'm guessing the next version of Office will be Office 2010, as generally Microsoft will use the year after for the product version. (Office 2007, for example, was actually finalized in 2006.)

As for the sales, just look around. I can usually find Office 2008 on Amazon for a lower price than what I can find on the Apple Store. There are lots of sites that have tons of deals on software like Office.

And I recommend Office 2008 over 2004.

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a MBP now. I haven't installed Office 2004 yet because I figured I'd give iWork 08 a shot when I bought this puppy. It's okay, but now I need to make some Powerpoints for school (I need to collaborate with other people for my presentations...). I figured Office 2008 would play a lot nicer with Office 2007 (which is what our school PC's have).

It'd be ideal if I could make Keynote play nice with Powerpoint. I'm not sure if it will, and to what extent it will, but I'm not about to spend 7 hours making a presentation look great, to not have it work!

5. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I believe the new iWork '09 plays nicer with Microsoft Office than '08 did. Keynote, supposedly, can now be saved directly as a PowerPoint presentation.

Of course, you could always export your Keynote as a PDF, which will work on nearly any modern operating system.

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

True... but PDFs really aren't an option. I'd need direct Powerpoint integration. So If I did a few slides, I could email them to another person in my group and have them incorporate them into Powerpoint 2007, without issue.

The more compatible the better... including templates and transitions...

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I bought Office '08 last week for $120 from Macmall (including shipping and taxes.) That was the cheapest I found.

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sales are most likely around back-to-school, as well as (in the US) Black Friday. Retailers can do it at other times, but those are the most likely ones. If you're a student, check with your university to see if they offer inexpensive licenses to students and faculty. If you work for a big company, check with your IT department for the same thing.

Office 2008 came out in Jan 2008. We've been on a standard 2-3 year release cycle (the most recent version notwithstanding, but I think it's safe to assume that Apple isn't going to change the processor anytime soon!), and we're planning to stick to that this release.

Information about the latest and greatest will be posted to Mac Mojo, our team blog, when we get closer to its release.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

9. compartir macrumors newbie

need help with Office 2004

In specific when i´m using word suddenly freeze an i have to quit and lose all changes?
    I don´t know why... HELP!!!!