Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waxgroove

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2020
Just started getting "Upgrade Required" notice every time I open Excel/Powerpoint 2019 only - doesn't show for Word. I know 2019 is EOL but is there a way to turn off this notification every time I open the application? Running Monterey 12.7.3.

RIP_SJobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Just started getting "Upgrade Required" notice every time I open Excel/Powerpoint 2019 only - doesn't show for Word. I know 2019 is EOL but is there a way to turn off this notification every time I open the application? Running Monterey 12.7.3.
If upgrading to 2021 is truly NOT an option, since 2019 is officially EOL (the how to simply swap a license from 2019 to 2021 is actually useful in the "Office 2019 for Mac license" section), as follows:
...then you might try reading this (disable Notifications for anything related to Office for Mac):
...but mostly just for laughs and company-in-misery re: the funny/useless/frustrating official (or independent/MVP - HA!) answer(s) to get to the real answer far outside of any "help" MS could/would EVER provide, as follows:

Hope that helps - if it cannot check, then hopefully it also cannot nag anywhere, especially if you also have disabled any related Notifications entries?

Waxgroove

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2020
Deleted the AU application - so far it seems to work - no annoying banner beneath the menu reminding that the software needs to updated. Big thanks to RIP_Sjobs!

Slartybartfast

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Here you go, took me a min to find the direct link since on their page they removed it.

Remove the current AutoUpdate. Install this one. Run all of the updates EXCEPT for the AutoUpdate. Once they are done, run that one and everything should be up to date. :)

I am glad it wasn't just me on this, what a mess!

Let me know if this works for you as well.
I am badly in need of some help with this issue. I have Sonoma and 2021 Word for Mac (Version 16.78.3). I’m also new to the forum.

I tried Lucky 736’s fix, first deleting the AutoUpdate from my applications folder, then downloading the one from your link. It apparently downloaded OK, but wasn’t in the applications folder when I finished, so I dragged the old one back out of trash and put it back. I’m back where I started – I think.

I had no idea how to “Run all the updates ….” part.

Forgive my ignorance, but there is someone out there who could walk me through this, I would be grateful.

Here’s what showed up on my screen…
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 3.16.28 PM.png

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky736

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I am badly in need of some help with this issue. I have Sonoma and 2021 Word for Mac (Version 16.78.3). I’m also new to the forum.

I tried Lucky 736’s fix, first deleting the AutoUpdate from my applications folder, then downloading the one from your link. It apparently downloaded OK, but wasn’t in the applications folder when I finished, so I dragged the old one back out of trash and put it back. I’m back where I started – I think.

Forgive my ignorance, but there is someone out there who could walk me through this, I would be grateful.

View attachment 2343120

Here is a step by step instructions:
1. Delete "Microsoft Autoupdate 4.67" by going to "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/" and delete "Microsoft Autoupdate.app" file
2. Install MS AutoUpdate 4.6 you downloaded
3. It should run automatically once installed, if not do the following:
a. Open any one of the MS programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, or Power Point)
b. Click "Help" on the menu and "Check for Updates"
4. It should then run the AutoUpdate
5. Install updates (but NOT the "AutoUpdate")
6. After all MS programs have been updated, then update the AutoUpdate

Reactions: vooke and Lucky736

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US

View attachment 2343120

Here is a step by step instructions:
1. Delete "Microsoft Autoupdate 4.67" by going to "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/" and delete "Microsoft Autoupdate.app" file
2. Install MS AutoUpdate 4.6 you downloaded
3. It should run automatically once installed, if not do the following:
a. Open any one of the MS programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, or Power Point)
b. Click "Help" on the menu and "Check for Updates"
4. It should then run the AutoUpdate
5. Install updates (but NOT the "AutoUpdate")
6. After all MS programs have been updated, then update the AutoUpdate

@yukari TY for replying! Hopefully this helped @Slartybartfast!

redterminator

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
I've been able to find a workaround with AutoUpdate 4.68. First, I make sure AutoUpdate is closed. Then, I open the app I want to update (e.g. Word). I make sure that all the windows for that app are closed but the app itself is running. I then run AutoUpdate and it's able to download the update. It then tells me the app is open and I close it to allow the install to complete.

FYI, per MS support the problem is that Office version 16.79 is an Office 2019 version and all 2021 installations should be at 16.81. This is causing it to misdetect it as a 2019 version. The problem of course is that AutoUpdate is the one that put version 16.79 to being with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky736

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US
FYI, per MS support the problem is that Office version 16.79 is an Office 2019 version and all 2021 installations should be at 16.81. This is causing it to misdetect it as a 2019 version. The problem of course is that AutoUpdate is the one that put version 16.79 to being with.

Exactly. 🤦🏻‍♂️

gunny1234

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
Hate to necropost, but it seems this solution no longer works as of March 2024. I get the same upgrade required badge. I followed the same step by steps above, but the updater does not allow an update of the individual Office suite apps until the updater is updated to v4.68.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.15.00 PM.png

For now, I will just deal with the banner message saying I need to update or go on the monthly Office 365 plan for $7, or $3/month since I have my student email.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
US
Interesting. Tried it on two machines and with 4.68 the issue seems resolved. I wonder if MS didn't go in there and sort it. It installed the 16.82 updates on two machines, diff architecture. Which version updater are you on currently?

Blueser100

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
CA
Saw this thread and had noticed similar message with Auto Update re having to upgrade from Office 2019. I'm not inclined to upgrade (don't use the applications that much, maybe Word once in a while) but is security a sole reason to do so?

RIP_SJobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Sole, yes, but also a GOOD reason to do so...
You can try the indiviual "package updates" for a given app to make sure you're at the latest version. But, since 2019 is EOL, if you're running that, then, yes, at some point, you'll be SOL by that EOL.

For me, this issue was presenting on Office 2021, which is why it was so annoying, and, yes, MAU tends to be VERY flimsy and brittle, and dies in its sole and simple job, way too often (the one app I have to scorched-earth clean install more than any other, even before this).

Reactions: Blueser100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.