Office to iWork: batch conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by exi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. exi macrumors 6502

I have years of Office files -- various .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, and the rest -- sitting in various folders. I'd be interested in converting all of them into .pages and .numbers files.

What I do does not require 100% Office compatibility. I'm a minimalist and would sooner have either Office or iWork on my MBP -- not both. I use iCloud for mail, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks/reminders, Safari synchronization, and Find my Phone -- barring a switch to another service for mail only, I suspect I'll probably stay on iCloud, or at least mostly iCloud except for mail.

Have Googled this but found only a few thoughts. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might batch convert a big tree of folders containing Office files to their iWork counterparts?

2. liya1201 macrumors member

Could you just open your existing .doc, .docx, .xls, and .xlsx files directly by Pages and Numbers? In other words, converting them seems not necessary. My two cents!

3. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, only thing is that any changes, once saved, create an iWork format file. Was trying to do all of that at once and not have to do them one by one.

4. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Have again attempted to find third-party solutions and not having much luck. Any suggestions welcome.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think there are services that do that, given the closed nature of apple's file formats, small marketshare and high compatibility issues.

Given that the iWork apps import/export Office docs, I'd just convert them as you open them.

One possible solution - I'm not sure if this is possible, but you may be able to record a process via the automator app.