Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Am I the only one getting frustrated with the constant MS Office updates on iOS?

At least twice a week there seems to be an update for Word, Powerpoint and Excel of 100-300MB size per app!! (I'm assuming this isn't just some glitch on my own phone of course).

Thinking to delete the apps on account of it (2 of em anyhow), I can of course do it over wifi, but then I can't do anything else on the internet for the half hour these things take to update.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Am I the only one getting frustrated with the constant MS Office updates on iOS?

At least twice a week there seems to be an update for Word, Powerpoint and Excel of 100-300MB size per app!! (I'm assuming this isn't just some glitch on my own phone of course).

Thinking to delete the apps on account of it (2 of em anyhow), I can of course do it over wifi, but then I can't do anything else on the internet for the half hour these things take to update.
Yes, I'm pretty annoyed about it too. To make it worse, they don't provide a description of the changes in their "What's New" portion.

Reactions: The Mercurian

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Yes, I'm pretty annoyed about it too. To make it worse, they don't provide a description of the changes in their "What's New" portion.

Yes! I have no idea if the 4th update in any given week is an essential security update or something that allows me choose a new background color.

Its frustrating. I really don't want to delete them because I do use them on occasion, but my the constant updating is becoming quite annoying

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
The size you see in the update section is the app size not the update size. An app might be 250mb but the update is only 20mb which you won't see.

I don't know why people get annoyed by app updates. I check a few times a day for updates and it's a simple update all button then back to whatever else I was doing. It's not like app updates require downtime or reboots.

What does annoy me are generic 'we update regularly blah blah blah' update notes so you have no idea if new features or UX changes are in the app the next time you use it.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Eh are you sure about the size thing ? The reason I ask and the reason this whole topic annoys me is because when I do the update it slows down my internet for a considerable time (consistent with 300Mb updates....not 20MB).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.