Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Anyone tried office v.X and Tiger yet? Any problems? I'm just wondering if I should maybe buy the Tiger/iWork/iLife combo. If Word v.X doesn't play well with Tiger, it might be time to switch to Pages.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
or OpenOffice.org, the free alternative which is superior to pages and a little worse that MS office

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wordmunger said:
Anyone tried office v.X and Tiger yet? Any problems? I'm just wondering if I should maybe buy the Tiger/iWork/iLife combo. If Word v.X doesn't play well with Tiger, it might be time to switch to Pages.

Although it's more expensive, it really is difficult to say enough nice things about Office 04.... :rolleyes: But then again, the combo deal seems pretty good too.

But why wouldn't Word.X and Tiger get along? Word.X and Word 2004 use the same file format, so I'd think that if you can index one for Spotlight, you can index the other. Not sure about that, though.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
mkrishnan said:
But why wouldn't Word.X and Tiger get along? Word.X and Word 2004 use the same file format, so I'd think that if you can index one for Spotlight, you can index the other. Not sure about that, though.

I thought I saw somewhere that MS had to modify 2004 to be spotlight-searchable. If that's the case, then I doubt they'd bother with v.X.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wordmunger said:
I thought I saw somewhere that MS had to modify 2004 to be spotlight-searchable. If that's the case, then I doubt they'd bother with v.X.

Could be true.... I remember seeing unclear things like that too. The MS Mactopia website doesn't have any useful info on the topic, nor does the MS USENet group. :( But the way I understand it, Office has already put metadata in their files for a long time, and so that's not what's going to change. Rather, the plugin that will have to be installed is a plug-in for Spotlight to understand the Office encoding scheme, rather than for Office to understand Spotlight. But that's kinda educated conjecture. We'll have to wait an extra week. :D

Right now, I have not yet deleted Office.X since installing Office 2004. I don't intend to keep it, but I'd be curious to know what the answer to this question is, when it comes around to being answered.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
wordmunger said:

I have iWork (Pages) and it is ... well, let's just say not a very good program for word processing. If Office v.X doesn't work out, I would suggest going with Office 2004. OpenOffice and Office/J are nice but even Office v.X is better than both. They have a way to go before they are adopted by the mainstream. Ofcourse, you can't beat the price. Free is always better than cheap. I doubt they will work any better with Tiger than Office v.X. So, if you already have Office v.X, give it a try. It is worth waiting to see how things work. Besides, why send Microsoft more of your money if you don't have to? As for iWork, wait for the next release to buy it because Pages is limited ... and there's no Excel equivalent yet.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Word works ;)

Attachments

• WordvXtiger.jpg
    WordvXtiger.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 269

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wordmunger said:
Thanks! Just what I needed to know! The combo deal isn't great for me anyway since what I really need is a family pack, and there's no combo family pack.

I heard they have a new deal where they just garnish your wages and give you unlimited access to all Apple apps on as many computers as you want! ;) :eek: :D

I am *so* excited about Spotlight. *jumps up and down in seat* Nice to know Office will work with it out of the gate, for all of those mission critical searches, I, erm, have to do next weekend. Now I just need to add more metadata to my iPhoto collection, since right now, searching it would be pretty useless, as most of the portraits do not have the peoples' names in them. :(

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
mkrishnan said:
I heard they have a new deal where they just garnish your wages and give you unlimited access to all Apple apps on as many computers as you want! ;) :eek: :D
Ha! I probably won't be upgrading for a while, I'm just really trying to figure out what my options are. I haven't yet bought iLife 05 or iWork, so clearly I'm not just some mac zealot who always has to have the latest and greatest. If I did get the Tiger Family pack, then all my computers would be *ahem* up to date.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wordmunger said:
Actually they didn't modify Office 2004, they added a spotlight plug-in to understand the formaat of Office documents. So Office v.X documents should also be spotlight searchable.

The real question is will Office v.X run on Tiger? And if so will it be without issues? There will in all likelyhood be Tiger patches for Virtual PC and probably Office 2004 patches. Don't expect patches for Office v.X.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
x86isslow said:
Word works ;)

What a relief. I did not want to go out and buy another software product from Microsoft, although I'm looking forward to dropping another $100 for Longhorn when it is release in 200?. By then we'll know the truth about whether social security will last another 20 years and maybe they'll finally tell us who shot JFK. Seriously though, thanks for the shot of v. X working with Tiger and Spotlight. Great news indeed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.