Office vs iWorks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macappleguy8, Sep 13, 2015.

1. macappleguy8 macrumors member

With Apple having Microsoft demonstrate Office on the new iPad Pro, it got me wondering ... what does this mean for the future of iWorks (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) vs Microsoft Office. I'm not sure where to post this because this affects both iOS and OS X. Will Apple support iWorks less in favor of Microsoft Office? or will they continue supporting and updating iWorks along side with Microsoft Office?

Microsoft Office for Mac is still not as complete as the Windows version. That's a given. But will it someday be as complete as the Windows version? I am curious to see what everyone thinks here. I have no conclusion to offer other than genuine curiosity.

2. riviera74 macrumors member

Microsoft's attitude towards other OSes is dramatically different than it was five or six years ago. Back then, Office for iOS or Android was inconceivable. Office 2016 for Mac OSX should be a significant upgrade over 2011 because Satya Nadella has shifted the attitude of Microsoft to being a LOT more OS-agnostic than it was under Gates or Ballmer. It seems that MSFT is no longer interested in being all things to all people to the exclusion of all else, like they were in the 80s and 90s.

I think that Office 2016 will come close to being as complete as Office for Windows. If not, the next version should be.

3. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Good questions...
    I tried both suites and right now, here, today iWorks doesn't do it for me so I got into the new Office 365 (2016).
    Time will tell and I will re-visit these suites when and if changes are made.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm sure Apple is as committed to iWorks as it was to Aperture, Appleworks, Clarisworks, etc.:(

iWorks isn't exactly an Office killer and never has been; some are still griping even about recent versions in comparison to past versions. Office, and in particular Word and Excel, are gonna remain the standards no matter what Apple does. iWorks is sort of a niche product to demo some nice features.