Office -- which version? Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Deniseinfl, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Deniseinfl macrumors member

Hi: I need to buy Office. Which of these versions is recommended, e.g. Mac Office 2004 Student Edition or run MS Office 2007 Student Edition via VMWare. Thanks much for any advice.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

wait for Office: Mac 2007?

3. Deniseinfl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that info, but I need to get something now & I believe I read that the new version isn't coming out until October.

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Ditto. If you can, you should wait for the new Mac Office to come out.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The next version of Mac:Office is '08. and is due later this year. For now, NeoOffice is great :)

6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Oh, in that case, here is my verdict:

Office 2007 is a better product.

But Office 2004 for Mac will allow native interfacing with Address Book, Calendar and therefore iSync. If you don't want to do any of that stuff, then just go with 2007.

7. lamadude macrumors 6502

If you have an intel mac, go for office 2007, office 2004 for mac is not a universal binary and will only run through rosetta.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NeoOffice is also a UB, its not worth buying Office when one can have a better experience without virtualization, and then make the choice whether to buy the MS product when a UB version comes out...

9. Deniseinfl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thank so much for all of the info.

Didn't know about Neo Office. That might hold me to wait for the new Mac Office as I would like to synch w/Ical, etc.

Again, thanks very much. Very helpful info!

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Office 2004 (Entourage) syncs with iCal addressbook too.

11. DeathAxe macrumors newbie

DeathAxe

I'd go with NeoOffice for now and buy Office 2008 when it is released.

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What do you do with Office? What OS do you prefer? What OS do you spend most of your time with? That would make a difference.

If you simply create a few docs, a spread sheet once and a while and such then I would pick which ever one runs on the OS you use the most.

I prefer the Mac interface so I would rec. that unless you had to have something that is only avail. on the Windows version.

13. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I'd go with NeoOffice and and not buy Office. Ever.

14. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

I agree with those who suggested using NeoOffice. Definitely worth looking into and it won't be too much trouble cause it's free. It's based on OpenOffice but is designed specifically for Mac.

15. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I'm also a student, so I benefitted from the student pricing. I bought Office XP 2002 years ago when I was a PC user and Office:Mac 2004 when I switched to Mac. I found, that even though MS worked really hard on compatibility, that there still are a few random quirks when you share files between the platforms. Whenever compatibility is a must, say a group project, a major presentation elsewhere, taking a large file to Kinkos, etc, etc, I use my Office 2002 on Parallels.

If you qualify for student pricing, I think it's worth looking into getting both platforms if you can afford it. It's overkill (especially if you're committed to the Mac line), but it's a luxury I don't want to live without. If didn't qualify for student pricing, obviously I wouldn't do that. But since I do, I went ahead for the overkill.

16. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

For compatibility, I would go with making .pdf documents or something that is otherwise more standardized if formatting has become an issue in office. Other that that, I would again recommend NeoOffice as I have never had many problems with the formatting.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Office:Mac 08 will have pixel-perfect exact compatibility.

NeoOffice sometimes has formatting problems, but none that have been too irritating for me :)