Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I have been having an issue with shared library errors, the carblib cfm_priv,
I have uninstalled, installed over and over. I went int othe disk utility and tried that, etc. Called alpple care, called microsoft. Microsoft blames mac, mac blames microsoft. I just want it fixed so I can get some work related documents and spread sheets off there.

Any ideas? If I didn't have work stuff on it I would just be without until 2008 shows up. I hate to bring it in. Oh and I had a new hard drive put in last year because the original crashed.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I have been having an issue with shared library errors, the carblib cfm_priv,
I have uninstalled, installed over and over. I went int othe disk utility and tried that, etc. Called alpple care, called microsoft. Microsoft blames mac, mac blames microsoft. I just want it fixed so I can get some work related documents and spread sheets off there.

Any ideas? If I didn't have work stuff on it I would just be without until 2008 shows up. I hate to bring it in. Oh and I had a new hard drive put in last year because the original crashed.

Why do you need to open the applications in order to access your documents? Are they on the hard drive somewhere?

Which part of office is it that crashes?
What's the error?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Place your documents on a flash drive or something and create a new user account. See if you have the same problem with the other user account. It is probably a preference setting under your account.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Why do you need to open the applications in order to access your documents? Are they on the hard drive somewhere?

Which part of office is it that crashes?
What's the error?

They are on the hard drive but will not open. It's a shared Library error, (I am at work so I will try to rememeber it)
-"<MicrosoftWord><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_System><>"

Thanks for you reply, .
I can't open them to put them on a flash, can't open any of the office applications at all or I get that error.WOn't open from any other program. not even from 'documents .I cannot open any document at all (from the bar or from the hardrive) I did
make a new user account but the same thing happens, also changed preferences according to the applecare person.

Microsoft said after the last Itunes/Qicktime update the shared library error started, Apple says no. Rumor? I just want to get thos documents onto an external place so I can deal with this program.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
They are on the hard drive but will not open. It's a shared Library error, (I am at work so I will try to rememeber it)
-"<MicrosoftWord><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_System><>"

Thanks for you reply, .
I can't open them to put them on a flash, can't open any of the office applications at all or I get that error.WOn't open from any other program. not even from 'documents .I cannot open any document at all (from the bar or from the hardrive) I did
make a new user account but the same thing happens, also changed preferences according to the applecare person.

Microsoft said after the last Itunes/Qicktime update the shared library error started, Apple says no. Rumor? I just want to get thos documents onto an external place so I can deal with this program.

But you don't need to open them to put them on a flash drive. Just drag them from where ever they are (in your 'document's folder or whatever) onto the drive. Then you can take them to another computer, like at work, to get your data.

Right, or am I missing something?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I did a little hunting on the error and it's a nasty one. Some chap seems to have fixed it by:

1. Run the 10.4.10 combo updater, which you can download from the apple site (I assume you're running the latest updates and stuff on your computer)

2. Update office to the latest version - 11.3.6 apparently - from the microsoft site

3. Restart

4. Repair permissions using disk utility

5. Restart again.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I did a little hunting on the error and it's a nasty one. Some chap seems to have fixed it by:

1. Run the 10.4.10 combo updater, which you can download from the apple site (I assume you're running the latest updates and stuff on your computer)

2. Update office to the latest version - 11.3.6 apparently - from the microsoft site

3. Restart

5. Restart again.

Even though I have had this imac since 2005 I consider myself a new user, convert, and I ALWAYS forget I can drag, thanks.

I am printing this up and will try thanks for searching. It IS a nasty one, is it a bug or a software error?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Even though I have had this imac since 2005 I consider myself a new user, convert, and I ALWAYS forget I can drag, thanks.

I am printing this up and will try thanks for searching. It IS a nasty one, is it a bug or a software error?

Good good.

Obviously, you will only need to use the 10.4.10 combo updater if you're running Tiger (10.4) - maybe you have the previous operating system if you got you computer in 2005? The point being, use the latest update relevant to your system, but download the combo version from the apple website.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Good good.

Obviously, you will only need to use the 10.4.10 combo updater if you're running Tiger (10.4) - maybe you have the previous operating system if you got you computer in 2005? The point being, use the latest update relevant to your system, but download the combo version from the apple website.

Last year I had the hard drive crash, (may have been heat related don't know) so it was completely replace with all new updated software. (10.4.10)
I just downloaded the update, but it's not mounting, read the instructions and it saidd to open through disk utility?

Am I doing this write? I couldn't 'run' it, would not open so I openned with the utility. Yikes, need help I htink, have no clue what I am doing:eek:

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Unconfigured?

What does that mean? The combo updater is unconfigured, failed to mount.

oi

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Universal version of 10.4.10??

I think I may have done the wrong one, so I did the universal version and it came up fine. However now it says i have not enough room. I really don't have alot on here, my version is
Imac G5, OSX 10.4.10
1.8 GHz Power PC G5
256 MB

Do I need more memory for this upgrade? Since I backed verything, including pics to flash, I erased everything. So it's almost empty.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
:D:DYIPEEEE!!

Thank you SOOOO MUCH GEE!

Here's what happened:
Had to pick the smallest download, worked. THEN had like 2 years of Office updates to do, 11.2, 11.5 etc, (not sure why none of these updates happened on there own, since I get them weekly).

Now all is well, thank you rumors, I will highly reccomend you to my mac crazy brothers (if they don't know about you already!)

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Cool. I like problems that get solved while I'm asleep. Where are you based, to be posting at 3.30am gmt?

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Cool. I like problems that get solved while I'm asleep. Where are you based, to be posting at 3.30am gmt?

I am on the east coast USA, took me about 4 hours to do this. Never really edited my profile, so I guess the time zone is wrong.

How come this happened, was it a software issue or a wierd bug?

ditch office

Hi,

Yes this is a great forum, great people, I'm lovin it!

Some good news for you is that you can download NeoOffice, it requires X11 to be installed from you install disc, but it's freeware or donation ware and I've been using it for months without (surprisingly) a single issue.

On my new SR MBP I just ditched Office 2004 test drive.

Hope this helps.

GB

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
How come this happened, was it a software issue or a wierd bug?

I'm not sure what the difference is between a bug and an issue. If lots of people are experiencing the same symptoms, then it has to be a bug somewhere I would have thought, but it's also an issue, right?

But anyway, it's now an ex-bug or -issue.

termitefarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

Yes this is a great forum, great people, I'm lovin it!

Some good news for you is that you can download NeoOffice, it requires X11 to be installed from you install disc, but it's freeware or donation ware and I've been using it for months without (surprisingly) a single issue.

On my new SR MBP I just ditched Office 2004 test drive.

Hope this helps.

GB

I'm not sure what the difference is between a bug and an issue. If lots of people are experiencing the same symptoms, then it has to be a bug somewhere I would have thought, but it's also an issue, right?

But anyway, it's now an ex-bug or -issue.

Most definately, exbugs are good bugs, thanks again, will keep an eye out for all the updates rather than wit for the auto updates.

Jay Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Office 2004 shared library error

3. Restart

5. Restart again.

I am experiencing the same problem with Office 2004 -every application results in this error: "shared library error CarbonLib CFMPriv_QD".
I have done the following:
1. re-uploaded 10.3.9 combo update from Apple
2. repair disk through disk utility (it repaired one HFS volume and said 1 BitMAp still needs minir repair)
3. repair disk permission through disk utility
4. Unsuccessfully uploaded Office 2004 11.3.5 and the new 11.3.6 (I see on my system that 11.3.5 was uploaded in April. I get a similar error but it reads "shared library error BaseInstaller CarbonLib CFMPriv_QD
I am at a loss, any ideas?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I am experiencing the same problem with Office 2004 -every application results in this error: "shared library error CarbonLib CFMPriv_QD".
I have done the following:
1. re-uploaded 10.3.9 combo update from Apple
2. repair disk through disk utility (it repaired one HFS volume and said 1 BitMAp still needs minir repair)
3. repair disk permission through disk utility
4. Unsuccessfully uploaded Office 2004 11.3.5 and the new 11.3.6 (I see on my system that 11.3.5 was uploaded in April. I get a similar error but it reads "shared library error BaseInstaller CarbonLib CFMPriv_QD
I am at a loss, any ideas?

Do you mean you got that error when trying to install the latest office updates? (i.e. you're still using 11.3.4)?

When you say you installed the combo updater, what version of osx did you update from or were you already using 10.3.9?

If yes, then do you have the original office install disk? You could try binning and reinstalling office.

Don't tell Termitefarm but actually, I'm half surprised that my original suggested fix worked for him. I only posted it to make him feel as though someone was making an effort :eek:

Jay Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Do you mean you got that error when trying to install the latest office updates? (i.e. you're still using 11.3.4)?

When you say you installed the combo updater, what version of osx did you update from or were you already using 10.3.9?

If yes, then do you have the original office install disk? You could try binning and reinstalling office.

Don't tell Termitefarm but actually, I'm half surprised that my original suggested fix worked for him. I only posted it to make him feel as though someone was making an effort :eek:

I have been using Office 2004 without problem using the 11.3.5 update since April. Just yesterday all Office 2004 programs (most importantly, Entourage) failed to start - I keep getting the error "shared library error CarbonLib". But when I tried to reinstall 11.3.5 and the new 11.3.6, I get the slightly different error of "shared library error BaseInstaller CarbonLib".
I think the only thing I haven't tried is Archive and Install. :confused:

Jay Mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007

Oh, and I am using 10.3.9. As I have for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.