Office2011 for Mac - Math Equation help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Knisse, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Knisse, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Knisse macrumors member

Hi!

In office 2011 for Mac there is a build in Math Equation under documents elements --> equation.

Three questions for that one:

- How do I get it PERMANTLY to place the equation lines to the left? If i click under "word preferences --> equations --> display math --> justification "left" it ONLY works for that simple document, not permantly.

- Under the "Equation Tools" There is a list of Math Symbols. Is it possible to adjust that, so you can line which symbols you use the most?

- Also, does anyone know how to get a permanent shortcut made for this math equation?

This has been killing me for ages, since i use this editor all the time at my study.

Thank you!

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

1) I've not tried it myself but I seem to remember that there's an option to click "Defaults..." on the first page that you get to when you go into Word > Preferences > Equations. Clicking that sets your current settings to be the defaults for the "NORMAL template" as they call it. Not sure if that'll work for justification or not, but worth a try.

2) Sadly not possible, as far as I know

3) Assuming you mean a shortcut for a single equation, then yes, it is possible. Simply write out the equation and then click the Equation button and Save as a new equation.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Use LaTeX! :D

Hehe, sorry, I'll down vote myself now...:p

4. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

To be fair, that's what I do now. Much easier, just takes a bit of learning and there will definitely be a few growing pains.

I'll be writing my dissertation next year using it!

5. Knisse thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for your attempt to help.

1) worked exactly like i wanted! Thank you very much!

2) that does not sound promising

3) Oh, i mean just a short cut to create new equations, since i use them a lot, i am tired of have to go though the "document elements > click on the equation sign.

But again, thanks!

6. samh, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

samh macrumors 6502

You should be able to do it with this, no?

7. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Yeah, samh I believe is right. That should be able to be made to work.

8. Knisse thread starter macrumors member

I think it is a wrong link, that appears be desktop shortcuts, not shortcuts in word.

9. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

It's not quite completely what you want, but it shows roughly what you want.

You need to go to the same place in system preferences, but then click on the bottom thing in the sidebar (Application Shortcuts) and then add the shortcut you want in there.

10. Knisse thread starter macrumors member

Either i misunderstood, or i am horrible at explaining myself. What i seek is a shortcut to type in equations in word 2011, to be able like cmd+c to copy, i am seeking a shortcut in word to place equations.

11. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

Are you wanting a keyboard shortcut you can hit so that you can enter equations as though you've clicked on document elements and then equation?

12. Knisse thread starter macrumors member

yes exactly, I use them so frequently, and the professor is regularly going very fast, so it might sound silly - but it would greatly improve my writing speed.

13. samh macrumors 6502

I was in a hurry before so I was trying to pull a link that would help you out. You haven't said what version of OS X you are using. I am using Lion, so that's what I'm going to work with.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard and in the left-hand listbox choose "Application Shortcuts"

Click the Add (+) button underneath the right-hand listbox. In the new dialog box, select Microsoft Word from the Application drop down (you may have to browse to the end, hit 'Other...' and browse to the app manually).

Under Menu Title, you type exactly what the menu item is, including spaces and special characters (some menu items have a single-character ellipsis like … -- Option+semicolon, others have three periods ...). In our case, type Equation and then in the final box, enter the keyboard shortcut you want.

Close System Pref, and restart Word if it is open.

14. Knisse thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I use Mac OS X Vers. 10.5.8 i am not sure if your trick works on that version, but i will try it

15. locusfree, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

locusfree macrumors newbie

The answer to the shortcut addition, hopefully not too late

i) Click on Tools->Customize Keyboards...
    ii) Look for "All Commands" (left, select it) and then "EquationInsert" (right, not InsertEquation, because InsertEquation inserts a Microsoft Equation Editor Object!), select it.
    iii) Assign the keyboard shortcut you want, for example Cmd+Shift+E (be sure the old assignation does not interest you, otherwise choose a different key combination.