Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
i am running officemac 2008 12.1.3. and trying to save to a local non-network drive. Every single update has failed to eliminate this problem and it's rather annoying. I'll have any number (even just one) of word documents open, and at some point i'll go to save (or the autorecover will try to save the file) and i get a popup saying that too many files are open. I ultimately have to exit word WITHOUT saving the changes to the document, lose data, and restart word to fix it again... until it comes back. This is sh*t. Is there a fix? So tired of these antics that I might switch to open office.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
I had the same problem in Office 2004 while writing my dissertation. I don't think I ever found a foolproof solution, but I was always able to save the file as a RTF instead of doc and that allowed me to save my changes, restart word then save it back to a doc. I don't think I lost any formatting. I can't believe they haven't fixed it still. Unacceptable.

I haven't had it happen to me in Office 2008 yet, but I don't normally work with documents as long as my dissertation was

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
this is the kind of thing that made my dump my PC, dump my thinkpad, dump vista and any other microsoft-related product I had. Ironic the only microsoft thing I still use sucks.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
this is the kind of thing that made my dump my PC, dump my thinkpad, dump vista and any other microsoft-related product I had. Ironic the only microsoft thing I still use sucks.

LOL, yep.
Here's a solution to your problem:
NeoOffice

NeoOffice saved my butt again today when somebody sent me a .docx (the only MS Office I have is 2004 and it doesn't handle .docx). It's basically a Mac-native port of OpenOffice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.