OFFICIAL: 4.2 is for ALL iOS devices in Nov!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Carlanga, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Some members in the forum have been saying that 4.2 is only going to be released specifically for the iPad in November, here is proof from :apple: that is going to be for ALL iOS devices! except the older versions of the iPhone & iPod that were never given the option for upgrading to iOS4:D

http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/

Attached Files:

2. Maziar macrumors 6502

Steve jobs already told that OS 4.2 is coming to all iOS devices in the press conference(about a weeks ago)

3. Carlanga thread starter macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes, but some members don't seem to understand that! After the conference some said that it was only for the iPad, others stated that it was a tongue slip from SJ... Others members and me have been saying that iOS 4.2 is for ALL devices for a while, but it seems some need to see actual official evidence, thus the creation of this post...

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

It was only 6 days ago.

5. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Thanks for the update! I had no idea, it's not like everyone has known that for weeks now or anything

:)

6. lozpop macrumors 6502

7. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

IN November not on November. My money is on end of November. Jobs says fall and he'd like to make sure that's the latest possible date ever.

9. Carlanga thread starter macrumors 604

Carlanga

hahaha!:p
    how silly of me, thanks!

10. Maziar macrumors 6502

Yup,you're right.
    edited my post.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Good ol' Apple tradition ^^

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I really really REALLY hope they start breaking the iPad away from the iPhone and iPod Touch in what they think people want to use it for.

They are really totally different devices and the iPad needs more independent functionality given to it over time.

Basically to be made a device that can stand on it's own feet without constant tethering/syncing to a PC or Mac.

I'd love to see extra work put into the photo app, which at the moment is more just a tech demo than anything useful.

I mean we can't even do the logical thing of dragging an image over a photo folder to organise our pics without going back to a main computer again.

Stuff like that.

I don't really expect this kind of issue is going to be addressed with iOS4.2

I think it may be iPad v2 next year or even v3 before the penny drops that it needs to be able to function and be creative and be able to do more things on it's own.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I will be very glad for iOS 4.2. Seems like it will address my immediate needs. But I do agree that more work needs to be done to allow the iPad to work more independently from iTunes synching.

14. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

It's ok. Non-coffee drinkers are often misunderstood. If you are a Med Student, hope you're doing Green Tea. It's the ticket for long term use without creating a new hole in your gastrointestinal tract. :)

15. jonny5009 macrumors member

jonny5009

I'm kinda bummed about it being universal across all devices. It feels like it takes out the specialness. :(

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

17. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Awesome, I will hopefully be back from my Honeymoon when it is released, if not, I can wait a few days.

18. Carlanga thread starter macrumors 604

Carlanga

hahaha, yeah I drink cold Green Tea, then at home I drink hot Jasmine Tea (which is basically green tea or oolong w/ jasmine flowers):D

19. wishddhp macrumors newbie

right, in Nov

20. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Or... you could feel better because now you knows that future updates will available sooner. At least you don't have to wait x months while the iphone already has new features.

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Am I missing something here? I know 4.2 will bring new things to the iPad, but what will 4.2x bring to the iPhone, that 4.1 hasn't?

22. grebe925 macrumors newbie

Knowing HH Steve, he'll probably announce the next generation IPAD along with Ios 4.2.

23. number9 macrumors 6502

AirPlay, Wireless printing, and likely some bug fixes.

24. grebe925 macrumors newbie

I was being half facetious when I wrote this, but it looks like Steve (PBUH) may have something up his sleeve:

iPad Due for Front-Facing Camera?

In particular:

New hardware could fall in line with the release of iOS 4.2 in November ....