Official ADC:Student thread (All FAQ's)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheRealness, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TheRealness macrumors member

Hey guys a lot of questions have been arising for the student ADC thread I am here as well as the other MacRumorers (not a word) to help you out. I myself do have a question but will ask it at the end

Who is eligible?

Any student currently enrolled in a legitimate college or university, the student must also be 18+ years of age. The discount is typically for CIS, IT, Engineering students but students from all majors have gotten approved. Does not matter whether you are full time, or part time you just have to be enrolled.

What is the price

For the student membership the current price is $99.00 (USD)

How long does the student membership last

It lasts for one year from the date of purchase

What are the benefits

~You get ONE 20% hardware purchase (i.e. MBP, MB, XServe, iMac, mac pro, Mac Mini...etc.)
    ~You get a free T-shirt
    ~You get access to developer tools (programming software)
    ~You get the latest OS available
    NOTE: In the past it has been said that as long as you are within the membership year (you get the latest software with your Monthly Discs) in this case with Leopard coming out in October past has foretold that more than likely you will receive it.

Can I still buy Apple Care

Yes, but it is recommended to purchase it through the .edu store as it is more cost effective, be aware you only have one year to add apple care so be consistent on your date of purchase.

Can I still use the iPod/Printer Rebate

No, you can not use the iPod rebate, but some have said they have been successful with the printer so give it a shot you have some to loose but a lot more to gain

How do I sign up

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

What are some of the prices like

http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html than click on the link that says ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store

How do I get verified

After you purchase an ADC Student Membership and receive an Activation Code via email, you must verify your student status before ADC will activate your product. The verification steps are:

1. Visit the ADC Member Site to confirm that you are a student in your ADC Profile. After you click the Student Status checkbox, you must also provide your student ID number and school name.
    2. Proceed to the Activations area in the ADC Member Site and use the Code you received via email to start the Activation process.
    3. Fax a copy of your passport or other official identification (such as a driver's license or student identification) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/university.

* North America 1-408-974-7683
    * Europe 44 (0) 131-458-6988
    * Australia 61 2-8223-9347
    * Hong Kong 800-908-212
    * Japan 81-3-3570-8075
    * Singapore 1-800-2775-3248

Your Student Membership will not be considered Active and you will not receive any Student member benefits until your verification fax is received by ADC. If you need assistance, or a local fax number is not available in the list below, please contact ADC.

Note that the ADC Student Membership does not include code-level technical support, access to pre-release software, or use of the ADC Compatibility Labs and students may not be transferred these benefits by others. If your development requires such benefits, please consider purchasing an ADC Select Membership instead.

How long does it take after verification to start ordering

Once you have been verified you can go ahead and order

Any other questions let me or anyone else know and I will update accordingly

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wow, that's really going to help a lot of people. I haven't checked yet, but is there a guide entry for this? Perhaps you ought to submit it as a guide or maybe the mods might want to sticky it.

As for your question about purchases: I have no idea :( Sorry.

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Two things:

1) Technically, this should be (and would do the most use in) the "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" forum. I'm not trying to be picky, but that's where you get the most of these types of questions.

2) If there isn't one already, create a guide with this info! The Mac Guides at the top of each forum are great sources of information for people, and this set of FAQs would be a great addition to them. Again in the "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" forum.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Once your membership is no longer "pending" in your profile, you are then eligible for the once in a lifetime discount from the Developer store.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well, according to my emails, I got the e-receipt for my ADC Student Membership on the Sunday (automated obviously). I had already sent my student information to them via fax the Friday before.

So by Tuesday, I got an email from the ADC Asia saying that my Student status was verified AND that my account has been activated.

However, I didn't get the actual discount in my 'assets' page until Thursday, 2 days later (from memory). So I ordered my MBP the next day. Shipped to me within a working week, right before Christmas!

6. wing70301 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've got a question. I'm going into my last semester of college, and will be graduating in December of this year. I want to buy one last mac with the ADC discount before I jump into the workforce. So if I were to buy an ADC account and activate it, let's say, a month before graduating, would the benefits of the ADC account continue out through the whole year (up to Nov. of 2008) despite the fact that I graduated in Dec. 07?

Basically what I'm saying is, would I be able to activate ADC before graduating, then buy a 20% discounted Mac six or seven months after graduating? Thanks!

7. dethl macrumors regular

I don't see why not considering you got the 1 year membership while you were still a student. I'm in that exact same position too. I think I'm gonna get a new spiffy Mac Mini with the discount.

Edit: On 2nd thought the discount isn't really that much :(

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The hardware discount doesn't pay for itself for the consumer machines, ie iMac, Macbook, and Mac Mini. In fact you'll end up paying more when you factor in the $99 membership fee. Only with the Macbook Pro and Mac Pro do you see significant savings that warrant the use of the once in a lifetime hardware discount.

9. TheRealness thread starter macrumors member

Ok so here is an update I took care of everything in less than 5 hours, could have been less but the apple.com update delayed me for 3-4hours

All I did was purchase the ADC, went into my ADC profile and activated the student portion. Waited till I got a conformation email. After I faxed over my information five minutes after I called them up to confirm they received it. Took two minutes than he said your good to go, any questions? Now all I am going to do is wait till Sat. so i can get MA tax free weekend with my ADC

Saaawwwweeeetttttttt Life

10. alienurbanite macrumors newbie

Overseas Purchase

Hi guys,

I am an Australian student eligible for the ADC discount. However, I noticed the prices on the Hong Kong ADC Hardware site a lot cheaper than the ones in Australia. As I will be making a trip to Hong Kong in November, do you know if I could order the computer using my ADC Account (which is registered under an Oz Uni) to make a purchase in Hong Kong?

Thanks!

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well, here we are. Leopard has come. I wonder if I will be getting it in my next mailing! Lets hope!

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, I think I only get one more mailing, so I might be out of luck if they push it to Dec. :(

Buuut, we can download Tiger from the dev site, so maybe if they push Leopard on there right away I'll be able to grab it there? Here's hoping. :p

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yeh... when will it be available to download do we think?

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Noooo idea. I'm hoping very shortly after Oct 26, but that may be overly optimistic. heh :p

15. PauloMac macrumors newbie

Student ADC Mailings

I am a UK Student who has just received his ADC Student pack in the post. It ony contained a box with some discs (that I had already downloaded), apparently the box is for storing future mailings. What about the t-shirt!??!?!?! I had heard rumors of getting hold of a t-shirt in the post and nothing arrived.

Plus what are the chances of getting a copy of Leopard in the post? Or will I need to buy it.

Can't wait to go all out and buy a Macbook Pro later in the year.

16. ASTRX macrumors newbie

If I buy an ADC student membership before the release date (26th), will i recieve Leopard by mail when it has been released, or will i get Tiger because its the current OS and thats it?
    or will I get all releases (there will only be one but), including Leopard, that are released during my membership?

Because I want to get the student verification process out of the way before Leopard is released by ordering now.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I would love to know this as well! I already ordered a ADC Student Account but haven't activated it yet.

18. mwxiao macrumors regular

Be careful. I called ADC twice and I was told that they would send out Tiger in the mail. And no leopard announcement has been made about ADC membership.

Maybe just wait until Oct. 26.

19. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

There's no official word about us student developers getting Leopard for free in the monthly mailings....fingers crossed.

20. Danomite macrumors newbie

10%

Hey,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

Thanks for the information about the ADC. I'll definitely be making use of it.

Though I believe the discount comes out to 10%, not 20%. I'm in Canada so at first I thought it was a Canadian thing, but I checked the US Store and it comes out to 10% for hardware.

---edit---

My mistake, it looks as if the "pro" line of hardware has a 20% discount. Though the iMac, MacBook & MacMini only have a 10% discount.

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

this is great..too bad i just bought my macbook, but i think in about 3 years before i graduate i will pick up the new macbook pro at that time! i looked and the savings on that are about 700$..its incredible

22. jonG macrumors member

is there any difference in the order itself especially the box or anything, it doesn't come in an ADC apple box right its just as if you ordered from normal apple online store.

23. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Correct, just like any other order would be from the online store.

24. ASTRX macrumors newbie

25. SpastikMonkii macrumors newbie

So I'm currently a graduate student doing my Masters in Electronic and Time-Based Art. I'm planning to buy a Macbook pro very soon. Is this something I could get into? It appears I'd be recieving a 20% discount instead of my typical 10% edu discount, so even with the $99 to join, I'd still be saving about an extra $100.