Official Aftermarket SSD Upgrade from Apple, possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sunday Ironfoot, May 3, 2011.

1. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

I contacted Apple (via online chat) about the possibility of an aftermarket SSD upgrade for the iMac 27". I was half expecting them to just reply with a straight NO answer, but got the following reply instead:

• Hi, my name is Smith. Welcome to Apple!
    • Smith: How may I help you?
    • Smith: Hello!
    • Smith: Hope you are having a great day!
    • You: About iMacs, since there's a 4 - 6 week wait for the SSD option, is it possible to upgrade to an SSD later if I buy the iMac now (27" model), e.g. through Apple or an authorised repair company?
    • Smith: You would only be able to upgrade with an Apple certified technican. I do not have that costs available.
    • Smith: AppleCare would have that information. But remember you would be replacing the drive and not just upgrading it.
    • You: Do you know where I could find further information?
    • You: Also if an authorised technician did the upgrade, it wouldn't void the warranty?
    • Smith: It would not.
    • Smith: you would need to contact AppleCare for further information.
    • Smith: Please ring AppleCare at 0844 209 0611. Lines are open Monday-Friday 08:00-19:45 and Saturday 10:00-17:45.
    • You: ok, thank you very much for your help =D

So what do you think? An official aftermarket SSD install via Apple wouldn't void your warranty, and wouldn't require me to gut open my iMac.

I might pop into an Apple Store and inquire, or just call that phone number.

2. squat macrumors newbie

yes possible

as i have already written in another thread:

I have just spoken to a sales person at apple (germany) regarding exactly this matter. He spoke to the technical department before confirming that one could pick up the imac with 1 or 2 TB HDD today and bring it back to them or to one of their partners for an SSD upgrade.

My Q: so after the later upgrade, HDD+SSD would be installed together and not only the HDD swapped out for SSD? His Answer: yes
    My Q: will there be an "SSD upgrade offer" of any kind? Answer: we or our partner will be able to offer you a descent and performing SSD

and of course the warranty is not void as it would be if i had to implement the SSD myself (besides the lack of enough abilitys for such a task)

3. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

Some questions of my own:

Will I be able to choose my own SSD? Only the SSD provided by Apple?

Any cost involved in getting an authorised technician to do the work?

4. titatom macrumors regular

+1 bump.

I would love to know more about this !